Dual Channel Receivers

ProgressiveDrum

Wondering if there are any alternate options to the Lectro SR family.

Anyone using Zaxcom dual receivers with a SD633?

Any other options?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you kidding? Sarcasm again?
The answers to both questions are: yes. The answer to your next question is: search around this forum and you'll find what you're looking for and a lot more

Check out Wisycom! They offer wideband Dual Channel Receivers MCR42 with a range from 470-700MHz or 566-798MHz. They also have a multi compander, so they can be used with transmitters from different companies (Sennheiser, Sennheiser Evolution, Audio Ltd...). And besides all that, they sound great!

4 minutes ago, tonvogt said:

Check out Wisycom! They offer wideband Dual Channel Receivers MCR42 with a range from 470-700MHz or 566-798MHz. They also have a multi compander, so they can be used with transmitters from different companies (Sennheiser, Sennheiser Evolution, Audio Ltd...). And besides all that, they sound great!

If you are buying Wisy's for the emulations, then have a really good listen first. Trust your ears ;-)

Just now, Bash said:

If you are buying Wisy's for the emulations, then have a really good listen first. Trust your ears ;-)

I'm using them with Wisycom transmitters but I think that it is a nice option. Maybe for someone who wants to upgrade the setup bit by bit, that can still use the old transmitters with the MCR42s before changing everything.

7 hours ago, ProgressiveDrum said:

Anyone using Zaxcom dual receivers with a SD633?

While I'm not using a 633 I'm using both Zaxcom and Lectrosonics side by side in the bag.

I find the Zaxcom range is equal to that of the Lectro. But the big difference is Zaxcom gives me huge dynamic range with Never Clip on the the transmitter, internal recording with tc and full wireless remote control.

Audio Ltd are due to release the RMS 1010 Digital Dual Channel receiver in the Summerl and may be showing it off at NAB this year. May be worth checking out if your are not in a hurry to buy now?

Edited by NathanWBS
Amended due date

I'm using both Lectro receivers (mainly 411's but occasionally my SRB when its not being used as a hop) and a Zaxcom QRX200 in the same bag with a 633.  I may get flames for this, and I respect Jack's experience expressed above,  but I'm consistently finding that my Zaxcom rig used with TRXLA2, at full 125mw power, has significantly less range before dropouts than my Lectro rigs at 100mw.  Both setups are using whip antennas and frequencies are carefully chosen for the least interference.  Of course the Zax has the awesome onboard recording which means the lessened range is not necessarily fatal, but at the end of a long day, I'd rather just have everything on my recorder when I'm backing up files, rather than the added time spent converting MARF files and having to explain to my producers that post is going to have to repair tracks with the additional files from the wireless.     I love the Zax capabilities when the subject gets into a car that we are going to be shooting from 2 blocks away, but am not always so happy when the director is listening on comtek to the Zaxcoms dropping out when our subject is 30 feet away from me and turns with the transmitter pack on the opposite side of their body.  My experience is that there's a bit of give and take between the two brands.  

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Zaxcoms dropping out when our subject is 30 feet away from me and turns with the transmitter pack on the opposite side of their body.

I'm not the most feverish Zaxcom supporter, but 30 feet range suggests something else is wrong with your setup.

A few years ago I was working in a remote countryside location. No mobile phone connection whatsoever. Started with my Lectros block 30, but couldn't get any decent reception even at a few feet. Switched to Zaxcom block 24 and suddenly I got what felt like hundreds of meters of usable range.

Hey Constantin,  I don't disagree with you about 30 ft seeming a bit strange, and that doesn't happen often, but it happened last week so it was fresh in my mind.  I more often get usable range out of the Zaxcoms.  Whenever I have the two systems running side by side though, I've always noted that the Zax drops long before the Lectro.   I had 3 wired subjects who were moving through a house on a tour, and I was outside- 2 Zax wires and 1 Lectro.  The Lectro had some occasional drops, but both the Zax's were completely gone for much of the tour.  It's possible that the QRX200 is malfunctioning, but both the transmitters seem to be behaving the same...  I've been informed that dipoles would make a difference on the 200, but I've already got dipoles on each shoulder for my camera hops, and I'm reluctant to put receiving dipoles millimetres way from receiving dipoles...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Hi John,  thanks for the good advice.   I've been doing a lot of doc shooting in the past year where we're alternating a lot between Sony F5 or Amira with a hop, and DSLR's without one, often I'll be shooting both ways, in the same location and same wireless conditions.  I haven't seen any particular desensing when the hop is on, or any range advantage when it's off.  (for either the Lectro or the Zax).  The hop dipoles over the shoulder and down the back, along with careful frequency choices, seem to be doing a good job of not causing interference within the bag- and ironically, I often successfully use a Lectro wireless in the SAME block as my hops. (at opposite ends of the block)   The QRX 200 is 4 blocks away from the hops.

If my Zax results seem off base with everyone else's, I think my next step is to take the whole system back to the mothership for an assessment, and see if there is something funky going on.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin 

Yes, I had that with my TRX742, which had terrible range. It felt like the antenna wasn't connected properly. And it turned out that actually was the case. Not the antenna to screw on, but inside a connection had come loose. Luckily, a trip to the mothership was not required, this could be repaired by the distributor. For us in the EU that makes a big difference in terms of time and money

Funny, why I didn't remember earlier to tell this episode instead of the other one..