My MKH 50 stopped working. Sent to Sennheiser USA....

Paul Garafola

Hey guys.

I've had my MKH50 for a few years (since 2013).  It's been used primarily booming above stationary subjects for interiors.  VERY rarely have I used it outdoors.  I've taken VERY good care of it.  But it just stopped working for some odd reason.  Wasn't the cable, as I tried the same cable with my 416 and it works without a problem.

Sent it back to Sennheiser USA over 15 days ago and there's been no update from them. 
Last week, I sent an email inquiry and they said that it hasn't been processed yet.  Strange....BUT....I was just curious to know if this is typical of your own experience, sending in your gear for repair or replacement.

Thanks.

Paul

I have had three 50s for a long time, and many colleagues have used them for many years. I use mine in all kids of environments, indoors and out. I've never heard of one stopping working. I got a weird noise on one of mine recently (it was over 15 years old) and sent it in. They replaced some bits, and now works as new.

6 minutes ago, RPSharman said:

I have had three 50s for a long time, and many colleagues have used them for many years. I use mine in all kids of environments, indoors and out. I've never heard of one stopping working. I got a weird noise on one of mine recently (it was over 15 years old) and sent it in. They replaced some bits, and now works as new.

Yes, it's strange that it would just stop working.  VERY unexpected.

Just now, JonG said:

I had a used 70 start to exhibit signs of death. Sent it in and a few weeks later, it cane back good as new. 

GREAT to know.  Thanks, Jon.

5 hours ago, ProSound said:

You have to pay the Expedite fee for $50 or $75 I don't remember exact amount  for them to look at it as soon as they get it if not it takes a few weeks. They are very durable though. 

Oh I didn't know that.  Well, in the meantime I'm using my 416 in a fairly dead room, so I'll be fine until the 50 comes back.  Now I know to not expect a speedy transaction.    Thanks!

So my 50 was entered into the system yesterday: "The technician will send you an estimate via email when he's reviewed the repair."

What's your experience with this, as far as cost for out-of-warranty repairs go?  I just want to get a general sense of how much you guys have paid in the past. Thanks.

Paul

Over the past 6 years, I have  acquired 3 416s'and 2 50s', bought them used...had them shipped to Sennheisser and never been charged more than 50-60$. One 416 is from 1982 one 50 from 2000. It takes a couple of weeks, but once in the system your good!