RULES DON'T APPLY...

soundtrane

I finally saw this film...

Dear Jeff,

I just want to tell you how amazing the film sounds.... 

And as one can easily see, it was not an easy-peasy film at all in terms of the scenes and logistics involved... (not to say ANY film is ALL easy for us, of course) 

How can you retire!!!  :mellow:

-vin 

Thank you for that, Vin, and it was not an easy film to do but we all managed to do pretty good work. Unfortunately, not a very good movie, failed miserably at the box office, but oh well. It was a terrific crew and all in town (L.A.) and the shooting style was as close to "old school" as one could hope for in today's digital world. We did shoot digital (Arri Alexa) but never abused the medium, didn't shoot multiple cameras randomly or without thought, etc.

• 1 month later...

We tried first to get a real practical microphone (successful with other mics in other scenes) but this particular boom setup we hid a Schoeps capsule behind the microphone. Camera angles were helpful with this. We did a really good job on this movie, everyone did, Caleb's work is wonderful (and as you know, we had a wonderful crew all around). The movie, however, is not great, not a bad movie but just not as good as it could have been. It failed miserably at the box office here in the US, it will be interesting to see if it gets any traction in other countries.

• 1 month later...

I have done several movies with Caleb and have known him since the early 1970's. Caleb likes to have a plan and is quite thorough and meticulous with the process, likes to rehearse and refine, to the extent that the director and the production will allow. Warren also likes to plan things out, likes lots of rehearsals, but then he often obsesses about certain details almost to a fault. Warren likes to do lots and lots of takes so to that extent, it is possible that he is hoping for something he did not anticipate. Generally, I will characterize working with Warren and Caleb (and a wonderful crew) as very organized and precise --- never did they go that route where they just roll the camera and send the actors in to "see what happens".