Zaxcom 900AA intermittent power?

t2audio

Couldn't find this on the post anywhere, so I hope this isn't a repeat...

Has anyone experienced this problem? I've had my stereo link for a year or so, and the receiver would occasionally powers itself off, and until last week I couldn't replicated the situation.

During a tape change, I watched as the cameraman put the camera down, somewhat forcefully, and noticed the receiver powered down. Bingo! It turns out that, when on battery power, and if the unit gets bumped, it will power down. I could easily replicate this by tapping lightly on the bottom of the unit, and in this instance, the camera's 12V output connector was not working so I had to power with batteries. In talking with Eric at Zaxcom, it seems that this only happens when under AA power. I sent my unit in for a mod, which probably will be a mechanical fix, rather than electronic- something that keeps the batteries more secure.

Certainly this could burn you very badly!

I've seen this a few times with a few different systems - old and new. 

I'd be interested in what "mod" they are doing. 

I tried extending the spring on the door and stretching it out a little but it still happened. 

It's unfortunate for such a great system.