Movies about sound or field recording (nature/ambience)

Bogdan

3 hours ago, Corbin said:

"Diva," which chronicles a young French man obsessed with an American opera singer who has never been recorded live in performance.  He tapes her surreptitiously with a Nagra IV-S (I think).  We never see the mic(s).  That sets the stage for a mistaken-identity plot line.  Good film.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Cheesey, but I do like this film. Cythia Hawkins not recording her performances stands out in our time where everyone wants to be recorded. The sound track is great. 

Cheesey as SHIT, albeit not moon in the gutter .... If I remember the right director whilst watching the news tonight I seem to recall it was a Nagra E ? Could be wrong. Remember the bath as much. Ha, but as someone (like Dan) who grew up with the French Sans Wave, I do still enjoy all this shit. I am happy to report that I realised I was the youngest (in my 40s) to be in a theatre in Paris last year watching Subway ..... ON FILM. Bliss. It was an audience mini party...

Jez

It's a Nagra IV-S.  You clearly see how the two channel level knobs are linked when he adjusts the levels during his bootleg concert recording.   Wonderful film.  The excerpt of the opera "La Wally" from this film was a minor hit record at the time.  Besides being a stylish thriller it raised questions about the ownership of art and performances that are still very much in play today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ecoute Le Temps (Listening To Time), 2006 is kind of interesting about a young woman sound recordist looking into the death of her mother.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443354/

And then, there's an episode of John Benjamin Had a Van called "Breakdown Van" in which the sound man is kidnapped

I've been looking for the program mentioned above, Tim Dee, Into the Wind but it doesn't seem to have streamed outside of the UK unfortunately

• 5 years later...
16 hours ago, Eve k said:

Silence (2012) is about a sound recordist in Ireland who is trying to find a natural environment with no man made noise to record. Available to rent on BFI

Interesting, thanks Eve. I'll look out.

In 2008 I spent several months in Himalayas and Qinghai Tibetan Plateau recording silent areas - a year or so later I met a bloke from Australia who recorded silences too and we traded.

On 5/20/2017 at 1:19 AM, Philip Perkins said:

It's a Nagra IV-S.  You clearly see how the two channel level knobs are linked when he adjusts the levels during his bootleg concert recording.   Wonderful film.  The excerpt of the opera "La Wally" from this film was a minor hit record at the time.  Besides being a stylish thriller it raised questions about the ownership of art and performances that are still very much in play today.

Ha thanks Phil, I realise I stood corrected back in 2017 and 5 years later had forgotten and reverted to my original bad memory (on the Nagra Stories thread).

Jez

• 9 months later...
On 4/4/2017 at 6:00 PM, Bogdan said:

... I've been searching for films that convey the life of a sound recordist, especially focused on natural environments and ambient sounds. I imagine an adventurous traveller recording mysterious sounds in obscure, silent places...