Worth buying IFB200 for a simple mono system?

Mike H

I have a basic system for recording mono audio during field interview shoots:
- DPA 4063 lav mic
- Zaxcom TRXLA3 transmitter
- Zaxcom QRX200 
- Sound Devices 702 recorder.

I bought this system last year based on advice here on the forum and it has worked extremely well. 
However, it is a real pain during setup/soundcheck adjusting the transmitter level. I never anticipated this, just lack of knowledge. You can only ask the talent so many times to let you reach under his shirt.  :mellow:

I believe the IFB200 transceiver is what I'd need to be able to adjust transmitter level remotely.
I'm just asking for advice on this. The cost is about twice what I'd like to pay for this basic 2-person operation, but I don't see an option.

Many of you use the IFB200? Work well? Worth buying?

Will a used IFB100 do everything I need?

Maybe not everything you need, but it will control most parameters of your tx. However, I'd strongly recommend the IFB200 instead, based purely on my own experience. The 100 has a very annoying form factor, and I always found it extremely difficult to integrate it into my bag as well as cart. The 200 is far easier to handle. Also it has a built in backup recorder. However, bear in mind that the IFB range needs its own power supply or at least a filter

Hello, The IFB200 works great for control of freq. and gain. So will all the current Nomads except lite. The IFB100 can't be easily mounted in a bag, so you can't get access to the controls to operate the freq change and gain change. But, the IFB100 has more power, but this doesn't make much real world difference. I have used the 200 in a bag with no need for any filters or power supplies.

Sincerely, Martin 

On 4/7/2017 at 5:35 PM, Mike H said:

Will a used IFB100 do everything I need?

Two things to carry further into this conversation:

1). Only you can determine what you really need.

2). Only you can determine if something is a worthwhile investment for you.

Having said that, yes, based on what you originally stated your need was, an IFB100 can meet those needs.  However, what you've been told about form factor, etc. does apply.  

I use IFB100, IFB200, and Nomad on a regular basis.  For many things I do, I prefer an IFB100.  If I were using one strictly in a bag, the 200s form factor comes into play.  One of the prime reasons I suggested that a used IFB100 might be right for you is the budget implications of your original post.

Also, consider just how often you need to make those adjustments.  Understand that with experience you'll acquire more knowledge of how to set a transmitter gain so less tweaking is necessary.