Sound Devices SAM-32SD & SAM-32CF

VASI

Sound Devices introduces its first line of approved media cards – the SAM-32SD and SAM-32CF – to work with its portable audio and video products. The SAM-32SD (SD/SDHC model) is approved for use with Sound Devices mixer/recorders as well as the Video Devices PIX-E Series of 4K recording monitors. The SAM-32CF (Compact Flash) is approved for use with the 6-Series line of mixer/recorders, and the 7-Series line of audio recorders.

Both cards have been optimized and extensively tested to ensure fast and flawless performance when used with each product.

The SAM-32SD is a 32GB SD/SDHC card that is rated at 90 MB/s for read and write speeds (620x). It may be used in temperatures ranging from -13°F to 185°F (-25°C to 85°C).

The SAM-32CF is a 32GB, UDMA-7 Compact Flash (CF) card that provides data rates of up to 160MB/s read and 120MB/s write speeds (1050x). It may be used in temperatures ranging from 32°F to 158°F (0°C to 70°C).

The SAM-32SD and SAM-32CF are now available for purchase from any authorized Sound Devices and/or Video Devices reseller.

BothSAM32-SD-and-CFcards-web.png

https://www.sounddevices.com/news/sound-devices-news/sound-devices-introduces-first-line-of-media-cards

32GB seems kinda small. I use the SD card in my 688 as sort of an internal drive and I keep a 128GB card in there. It rarely ever comes out until I need to dump it. I use 16 GB CF cards for handing off to loader/media manager. It's a nice thought to get in the media game but I find those sizes not as useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32GB is pretty much all I have, although I never get near filling one up. Ever.

I'm sure there will still be approved media of other sizes available, but if you're picking one size to manufacture, 32GB seems right to me.

This is a great idea for SD to provide media so there's no doubt about whether it's been tested or if it's authentic.

These will be on my expendables order for the next show!

yeah, nice idea to have a card option that is guaranteed to work.

The CF card is very similar to the Delkin recommended card, plus the made in USA label indicates that it's probably a Delkin manufactured card. 

price difference isn't bad either, 65USD at LS vs 50USD for the Delkin variant at BH.

I will probably stick to the Sandisk cards since I have never had a problem with them..  Going to another manufacturer makes no sense for me at this time since I'm batting 1000 with these I am using.....  and they are already in my kit. 64s, 32s and 16s

Are they any better than Sandisk?  Who knows...They are another option and a fine product I am sure.. 

Maybe good at removing stress for those buying new SD gear... at least the people wont have to study the Approved list and hope for the best while recording.. or worse using a non approved card. I just hope SD does not stop testing the other cards... That though must be time consuming and expensive to constantly be doing that with all their gear.. 

I bet that was their motivation,  reduce hours spent by staff and the expense, not simply profiting from the sales of CF and SD cards.. although, nothing wrong with that!

I can't imagine we as end users compare to a Planet of Photographers and hobbyists... 

I've had many more card issues with my 6xx machines than I've had with my 7xx, although most of my 7xx has been 744 with isn't very demanding use for modern cards.  So rather than chase around for cards for my 6xx recorder I think I'd go with SD's cards for them, while what I have and have been using for the 744s (mostly sandisk) have been fine.

9 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

I've had many more card issues with my 6xx machines than I've had with my 7xx,

curious, were those cards from the approved list?

personally I've been using Lexar CF and Sandisk SD from the list - no problems so far, but I might get the new cards anyway for peace of mind.

chris

Curious if any of you guys have been using cards that are NOT on the Sound Devices approved list. I am finding that they aren't keeping up with testing newer models and it's actually getting harder to even find some of the cards they have approved. I just bought these cards...hoping they'll work fine, though they aren't on the list:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LFT3MA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Non-approved media works until it doesn't. It's usually a layer transition thing.

The root of all evil in SD machines is the media. I would stick with approved media for sure. While it may be hard to find on your own, with these new cards supported by SD, and some good cards still available that are on the list, it's just not worth your reputation to save a few $$. Media is an expendable, technically, so should factor into your business model.

On 4/17/2017 at 1:49 AM, RPSharman said:

Non-approved media works until it doesn't. It's usually a layer transition thing.

Yep, Times a hundred.  

For example - UHS-1 cards are the same "rate" as class 10, but the bus speed is twice as fast.   If put into a device which doesn't run the bus that fast, is it going to give 100%, 50% or 10% of the performance? - it's also down to whether the SD card manufacturer decides to optimize it for continuous single file writes (video), bursty single file writes (camera), or multi file (audio), and whether they care about performance in slower devices.

UHS-2 cards add extra pins, so is the manufacturer going to care about what performance it gets through the "legacy" pins?   As long as it meets catalog spec through the UHS-2 pins?

If a customer comes to us with a "I got a drop-out" complaint, the first reply to them is always "which card from the recommended media list are you using?"   It's not "have you seen this list we thought you might like to know about" .

TASCAM also sells branded CF and SD media, they are significantly more expensive than mass market devices, but we do back them up with a data recovery guarantee as well as using parts that have >4x the write-life of regular cards.