How long should a JWSOUND seller warranty a sale?

MartinTheMixer

Hello, If there is no stated warranty period, if I buy something on JWSOUND from a fellow member, how long should they allow me to take, after I received the product, for me to cover the cost of a repair?  In other words, how much time should they allow me to discover any defects in the product I received? Thank you.

First of all, nobody "buys something on JWSOUND" --- anybody that has made a purchase or has sold something that was posted in the Want To Buy - Want To Sell section of this DISCUSSION group, they are on their own. Any advice on how to deal with any problems associated with any transaction should be had as a discussion amongst those who have had experience, person to person, with transactions of this sort. JWSOUND, the site, has nothing to do with this since we are not a commerce or auction site, etc. Same goes for people who may have had problems getting payment or have purchased or offered stolen merchandise, etc. Maybe someone will chime in with some advice but again, it will not be advice offered by JWSOUND.

+1 What ptalsky and Jeff said.

Any warranty or checkout period offered by a seller is whatever they stated in the listing -- from none to some

i.e. if they don't mention a checkout period, assume it's "none."

If you're not comfortable with what they have, or haven't, stated in a listing, contact the seller directly beforehand to discuss any possibility of terms.

It's nice doing business with people you know here.  Another reason most of us use our real names.

31 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Like Phil says.  It's between the seller and the buyer.  One reason some of us like to buy and sell here as opposed to CL or Ebay is that here you are often dealing with someone whose posts you've been reading, who you might have conversed with, so there is a level of trust.

Thank you, Philip, you've been with us long enough to know that you have summed up exactly the original intention with the Want To Buy - Want To Sell section --- it was really meant to serve as a place where the people we already know (real names, real discussions, some common history) can find some gear they want to buy or sell something they no longer need. When it works, it works well, but it has had its fair share of problems over the years.

I buy from people I "know" and sell to people I "know".  

It's doubtful people who know each other would knowingly sell each other something that wasn't as advertised. 

But like anything used, if it craps out after a while, it's really just bad luck. If it arrives broken or fails almost immediately, then it's worth having a chat. 

If something is a particularly good deal, I often factor in the manufacturer's fixed price repair as part of the equation. If it's still a good deal, I roll the dice.  

I'm guessing Martin's not looking for details on how to file a claim through the (nonexistent) official JWS warranty. Rather, I think he's polling us for a general sense of what we all would do. So here's what I think...if no clear warranty is offered, then:

If, through no fault of action of my part, something goes seriously wrong within the first week of my having the device, I'll contact the seller and try to come to some sort of agreement where they contribute to fixing the issue. 

If it's some small thing that I can fix with an hour's effort or get fixed for one-hundred bucks or so, I'll just fix the problem myself.

If something fails within the first month I've had it, and I haven't used it so much or in such conditions that I should really assume responsibility, then I might contact the seller and try to convince them to help pay for the repair. Maybe; I'd think I'd only consider this if we're talking about a repair that costs US$400 or more. This is just theoretical, though. I might not. I'd want to think about that some more.

If I've had the device for one month or more, then I'm completely on my own. 

But this is theoretical. I've bought plenty of used equipment, some from people I got to know here on JWS. Mostly, things have been fine. A couple times, I was basically screwed (not sales in any way connected to JWS folks, btw). A couple of times, the seller and I figured out how to get things righted (like when a cap failed right away in an 8-inch Sony field CRT monitor way back when; seller and I split repair cost).

Just one take.

Hello all. Thanks for your input, but what I'm looking for here is a number. How long after it arrives?

Thank you, Martin 

1 minute ago, Jim Feeley said:

I'm guessing Martin's not looking for details on how to file a claim through the (nonexistent) official JWS warrant. Rather, I think he's polling us for a general sense of what we all would do. So here's what I think...if no clear warranty is offered, then:

If, through no fault of action of my own, something goes seriously wrong within the first week of my having the device, I'll contact the seller and try to come to some sort of agreement where they contribute to fixing the issue. 

If it's some small thing that I can fix or get fixed with an hour or one-hundred bucks or so, I'll just fix the problem myself.

If something fails within the first month I've had it, and I haven't used it so much or in such conditions that I should really assume responsibility, then I might contact the seller and try to convince them to help pay for the repair. Maybe; I'd think I'd only consider this if we're talking about a repair that costs US$400 or more. This is just theoretical, though. I might not. I'd want to think about that some more.

If I've had the device for one month or more, then I'm completely on my own. 

But this is theoretical. I've bought plenty of used equipment, some from people I got to know here on JWS. Mostly, things have been fine. A couple times, I was basically screwed (not sales in any way connected to JWS folks, btw). A couple of times, the seller and I figured out how to get things righted (like when a cap failed right away in an 8-inch Sony field CRT monitor way back when; seller and I split repair cost).

Just one take.

Jim, Exactly what I was looking for. 

Thank you, Martin 

That's really something to be discussed between you and the seller before money exchanges hands. 

"Hey, if I buy this thing from you, what happens if it fails on the second day I have it? Are you selling as is or are you willing to work with me on repair costs?" 

There is no single number, unless you set one and the seller agreed to it.  Otherwise the transaction is complete upon receipt of the goods.  There is no warranty on used goods unless one was negotiated in the sale.  This is one of the big reasons so many here make statements about buying from people they "know", because much of the transaction is based on trust.

In my opinion, used gear should be tested right away when received, ideally same or next day, and any issues should be brought to the sellers attention immediately.

How bout we pose a specific situation here. Lets say the buyer purchases a few items from seller. 10 days after it arrives the buyer contacts the seller stating that one item is not working properly. The buyer states this is the first chance they have had to test the unit. Both parties are familiar with the item and they try to trouble shoot to no avail. Manufacturer is contacted and recommends it be sent in for repair. What would you expect if you were either party? There isn't any legal obligation by the seller at this point. Just a moral one. So the question is what is reasonable?

All sales come with a lifetime warranty -- based upon the presumption that when a device fails, its life is over.

+1

I've always assumed it is "buyer beware" you hedge your bets and hope for the best. It never occurred to me as a buyer to try and go back to the seller if something went wrong after I received the item. That being said, if was the seller I would work with the buyer to make sure they are satisfied. I guess it comes down it you personal moral code. I'd hate to get a bad name in this forum - but others might not care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm know I'm not alone when I say that my reputation is worth much more than anything I would sell.

That's why it's valuable to do business with folks you've gotten to know here over time. 

If someone jumps on an item being sold by a newcomer, that buyer should have no complaint if something goes awry, as buying from an unknown person is not in keeping with the intent of the forum.  Jeff's intent for this section is as an accommodation for active users.

If you want to diminish the possibility of heartache, don't buy from someone who shows up here just to sell something -- do business with other users you've gotten to know.

4 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

I'm know I'm not alone when I say that my reputation is worth much more than anything I would sell.

That's why it's valuable to do business with folks you've gotten to know here over time. 

If someone jumps on an item being sold by a newcomer, that buyer should have no complaint if something goes awry, as buying from an unknown person is not in keeping with the intent of the forum.  Jeff's intent for this section is as an accommodation for active users.

If you want to diminish the possibility of heartache, don't buy from someone who shows up here just to sell something -- do business with other users you've gotten to know.

Yep. Reputation is everything in this business. I have quite a few clients that shoot all over the country and always ask me for recommendations on away mixers if they can't fly me out. A few times I've gone to people I've either sold or bought from on JW because the relationship is there. Just not worth giving a bad vibe over a simple repair expense.