Best sound equipment upgrade.

manuelchk

Looking for the right upgrade path I think we have to establish the needs clear before asking what's better, because there is no one perfect for everyone.

So here are my needs:

- Best Sound possible. My main constraint is NOT the number of channels or how beautiful are the menus BUT the sound quality for post-production.

- I'm a solo sound mixer / boom operator, no help for now.

- Never recorded more than 4 channels for now. But I dont' mind to have a couple more... just in case.

- Been using 744T + SD442.

- Bag a little heavy and I don't really like the menus on the 744T.

- Want to have nice and expensive and beautiful equipment to impress my clients. Sound ridiculous but marketing is the most important thing and having the best equipment sells by itself.

With all that in mind: Which of the following setups does in your experience record BETTER sound for film and does meet better my needs?

- Sound Devices 744T + SD442 combo

- Sound devices 788T + CL8

- Sound Devices 664

- Sound Devices 633

- Sound Devices 688

I've almost got a 788T SSD + w/ CL8 and a SD664... but now I think the best choice could be a brand new 633, that will be with me forever... What do you think?

If it's best sound, I'd say stick with your 744T, followed by 788T. The latter's menus are like the 744's, so you may not like it.
Why do you consider only Spund Devices? Zaxcom, Sonosax, Aaton... they all build awesome, great sounding recorders. All of them will "impress" your clients, although I generally disagree with your statement: "marketing is the most important thing".

22 minutes ago, Constantin said:

If it's best sound, I'd say stick with your 744T, followed by 788T. The latter's menus are like the 744's, so you may not like it.
Why do you consider only Spund Devices? Zaxcom, Sonosax, Aaton... they all build awesome, great sounding recorders. All of them will "impress" your clients, although I generally disagree with your statement: "marketing is the most important thing".

Yes it's an important thing but not the most one, I over exaggerated it.

I just love SD products, maybe a Zaxcom could be a nice choice too. But never used them and I don't know how they deliver compared to SD, I will do some-more research tho. Thanks!

I have heard crap sound with Aaton Cantar and Sound Devices recorders. Nothing wrong with the recorders. User didn't know how to boom or where to put the lavalier microphone. I have heard quality sound with Zoom H4n, because the user had knowledge about quality sound.

In terms of quality equipment (recorders); I am focusing into these specifications:

- Mic Preamps (six and more)
- Headphone Amp
- A/D and D/A
- Metadata
- User GUI
- T/C
- Weight & Size

In terms of mic preamps, headphone amp and A/D D/A; Sound Devices 788 wins, comprared with 6 series. User GUI, metadata handling, weight and size; 6 series wins over 7 series.

Get a quality mic (or mics) in the right place, and you could record on a Zoom or anything else and make most clients happy. They just want a cheery mixer with reliable gear that works for the job, and clean and clear tracks. 

I use SD machines because I like them better for a pile of reasons. I use 50s because I like the way they sound. I use Lectro wireless, DPAs and COS11s because I like them. I know that if I'm happy, they'll be happy.

If you're a professional and you get good results, clients don't care what you use. They want you to have the experience to bring the right gear for the job, and to know how to use it. 

Or some clients just want you to be the cheapest option, and they hope you don't suck. 

In terms of quality equipment (recorders); I am focusing into these specifications:

- Mic Preamps (six and more)

I used to agree with this, but within the last year or two, I have completely moved to wireless mics. Boom, lavs, plants, etc. all wireless. So the actual mic preamp matters less, if at all. A-D converters become more important, but with wireless receiver more and more featuring digital outputs even tuey are losing importance. Digital inputs, number of tracks, mix capabilities, metadata are the features of increasing importance.

Having said that, a friend of mine has bought himself a Cantar X3 and he is now moving back to a wired boom, because he love the sound of the preamp so much

Personally I don't like the sound of the SD633, otherwise the rest of the SD range is fine. It's more to do with your skill then the kit you use, as others have mentioned.

When you state "film", do you mean all your work is traditional narrative film? If so, I would have thought a 788 with a higher track count will make more sense as often you need more then 4 ch's today. (radios on talent + boom/s)? Plus the ability to use the likes of a Cl-9? 

Anyway.

What about the Sonosax SX-R4+ ? (mind you most of your clients will ask what it is as they are a "boutique recorder").

http://sonosax.ch/product/sx-r4p/

Grant.