Sound Devices Mix Pre-3 and Mix Pre-6

afewmoreyears

Looks like they can accept and record TC, but can't generate it. But the prices are reportedly something like $650 and $1000; something like that. Different products for different users.

Press release with more details and pix: 

https://www.sounddevices.com/news/sound-devices-news/introducing-the-mixpre-series

Ok this rocks my world. Not a replacement for my 633 or 788t or 702... but a huge help in lots of other situations. 

Hopefully the mic preamps will be on par with other SD products - I always get a little nervous when marketing departments start giving mic preamps cute names...

-Mike

RE TC: lots of small jobs never use it.  It's very like SD to leave a back door for real TC if you want it--many people used the 552's recorder this way: ext. TC box or a connection to a camera etc., ditto Tascam HDP2, and it worked fine in its limited way.   I look forward to hearing these new pres.  Touch screen!  So...what about scratches?  Will the touch still work if you have a screen-protector on?

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

True, but: -130dBV noise floor, paired with a 32-bit a/d converter

True! Specs look good! 

Do any of our esteemed dealers know the actual size of the two units? It doesn't look like the -6 is that much physically larger than the -3 (which would be great). 

-Mike

this page clears up a lot of questions:

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-3/feature-comparison

it says:

TIMECODE: Reader Time of Day, HDMI or LTC via Aux In

so hook up a tentacle to the 3.5" and there's your timecode.

other notable info from that page that got lost in the announcement:

- low cut goes as low as 40Hz  -- EDIT: actually the specs page says 80Hz while the comparison page says 40Hz 

- the MixPre-6 up to 192hz (MixPre-3 to 96khz)

- input delay on MixPre-6

looks like a lovely unit, most likely going to get one if the price is right : )
chris

On 19 Apr 2017 at 6:20 PM, Mobilemike said:

Do any of our esteemed dealers know the actual size of the two units? It doesn't look like the -6 is that much physically larger than the -3 (which would be great). 

size is also on the comparison page (and also on the individual spec sheets which are online now)

1 hour ago, Mobilemike said:

True! Specs look good! 

-Mike

This should give you a scale perspective...if you know how big my hands are... MixPre-3 and 633 shown.

mixpre3-633.jpg

and i did wonder if something like this was round the corner when they gave 633 dugan automix. I like the integrated blue tooth. not sure what's meant by 4 or 8 AAs but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Is SD's movement into this end of the market indicative of where our part of an industry is going?

mixpre 6 half the weight of 633! And the USB streaming feature is a really nice touch for expanding the capability of the device.

They look really great. Might get one just for the hell of it...
no, not really, but as a backup?
Not too thrilled about the combo inputs, but anyway.

Most importantly for me: this appears to be SD's big announcement for this year's NAB. So it seems to me like a larger 788T update sadly is not around the corner

12 minutes ago, daniel said:

allen key and spare grub screw holder on board?

The allen wrench is included with the unit and has a slot on the rear which it locks into magnetically. There is a captive 1/4"-20 bolt in the middle of the unit. Using the allen wrench, it can be pushed out and rotated for connection to other mounts / gear. 

Edited by Nic Stage
Clarification