Sound Devices Mix Pre-3 and Mix Pre-6

afewmoreyears

1 hour ago, Paul Isaacs said:

Just a quick minor correction - you CAN use both Aux and USB inputs sources at the same time.

I need to change that. I meant to say you can't use them at the same time to inputs 5 and 6 as audio inputs. 

On 6/1/2017 at 7:53 PM, cmgoodin said:

You certainly need more external power and the solutions offered by SD seem pretty clunky in that they don't allow the recorder to lay flat with the battery sleds loaded. 

I agree, they really need to design a Sony battery sled that allows the batteries to be straight off the back of the adapter insert...How could you fit that easily into an audio bag?

I agree, they really need to design a Sony battery sled that allows the batteries to be straight off the back of the adapter insert...How could you fit that easily into an audio bag?

Maybe not easily, but this will fit into a bag. Easily.
Someone just needs to design a proper bag for it. I think then the battery will actually turn out to be an advantage.
Until then you could just use the solutions provided in this thread, such as the Hawk Woods dummy battery or the Pinknoise battery eliminator.

Likewise, if you, like Courtney above, want to operate the MixPre while it's lying flat on a table, you're just missing a nicely designed desktop stand where the batteries could be one leg of it. Such a stand would even provide better ventilation for the device, thereby prolonging its lifetime.

On 3 June 2017 at 0:39 AM, chrismedr said:

I'm often disappointed that manufacturers don't design things exactly like I want, but in this case it sounds like a bit of useless whining to me (sorry, no personal insult intended)

If you really need that feature, it's really simple to add the NP-F sled and hook up an NP-F dummy connected to a 8V power supply. If you don't want to spend extra money on the NP-F, modify the battery sled and hook up a 5EUR power supply through that. Or wait two months because I'm pretty sure by then somebody will sell something like that (possibly even SD).

You might argue that they should have included a dedicated DC input, but with devices that small PCB space is usually critical and it could well be that the unit ends up 3mm bigger for a feature that 95% of the users never need, so personally I'm glad they skipped it.

I would trade 3mm for approx 150 euros / dollars, even trade an extra 50 dollars for a dc in, with the guts, Chris.

Maybe it wasn't worth the extras though. As has been said, we now have these options because a separate market might pay for it. Still, another 200 us bucks for a hirose input starts putting things into a different territory than those who might be aiming for a first recorder?

Jez

7 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Still, another 200 us bucks for a hirose input starts putting things into a different territory than those who might be aiming for a first recorder?

Yeah, the pink noise hirose connector certainly looks expensive, but hirose usually target for the professional market where the price is not that critical.

I hope somebody will make a simple, very thin sled with unregulated DC in, which should be doable for 50EUR. also a version with a single NP-F battery and an integrated 5minute buffer battery (that would be my prefered option actually).

chris

On 6/3/2017 at 10:23 PM, dgirtsman said:

I'm wondering if a cable like this would work with a bds (using NP1's) to power one of the mix pres for bag work?

I just asked Sound Devices about powering specs again and they replied that, "The maximum voltage for the L-Mount connection on the MixPre-Series is 8.4 volts.  Anything above that voltage can damage the device."

Based on that answer I don't think the MixPre's can handle the full 14V or so that a fully charged NP1 will produce. Of course I asked specifically about the L-Mount adapter so I'm not sure of the specs via the USB-C port, but I think most USB ports are 5V so I wouldn't risk plugging that directly into a BDS either. 

-Mike

4 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

I just asked Sound Devices about powering specs again and they replied that, "The maximum voltage for the L-Mount connection on the MixPre-Series is 8.4 volts.  Anything above that voltage can damage the device."

Based on that answer I don't think the MixPre's can handle the full 14V or so that a fully charged NP1 will produce. Of course I asked specifically about the L-Mount adapter so I'm not sure of the specs via the USB-C port, but I think most USB ports are 5V so I wouldn't risk plugging that directly into a BDS either. 

-Mike

Some of these adapters may have a voltage regulator built in to step down the voltage from whatever the battery or distro is supplying to the voltage that the USB or L-mount batteries typically supply.

18 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

Some of these adapters may have a voltage regulator built in to step down the voltage from whatever the battery or distro is supplying to the voltage that the USB or L-mount batteries typically supply.

Yup - I just picked up one of these to try with my BDS today - we'll see how it goes: 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1112100-REG/indipro_tools_rsyp2_2_5mm_cable_for_sony.html

There are also some unregulated cables out there like the one dgirtsman linked to, and an unregulated (and cheaper) version of the cable I linked to above, but it seems like those unregulated options will not work for the MixPre's. 

-Mike

1 hour ago, whatisvalis said:

Any recommendations on syncing a mixpre 3/6 with a 702?

Tempted just to try a MP 3 as an audio interface. I do wonder if we will see a refresh of 7 series at some point, soon.

You can use the Aux input on the MixPre to feed it Timecode for syncing. This opens up a few options. You can  either use sync box(es) and feed timecode to both recorders, or you can have the 702T as master feeding Timecode from it's Lemo connector to the 3.5mm aux input on the MixPre, for example.