Sound Devices Mix Pre-3 and Mix Pre-6

afewmoreyears

47 minutes ago, Michael Wynne said:

back to the MS convo, it appears the latest firmware update v1.53 states under fixed "Incorrect gain values when channels are MS linked"   So I can only assume that the ISO's are still being recorded as decoded LR file when linked ?  To me this doesn't make sense since you already have the LR record bus for that option.  So you end up loosing the ability to monitor / preview a raw mid side to see how it's working when recording.

What I do is use regular linking on channels 1-2 and a custom headphone preset to monitor 1-2 with M/S decoding. That way I listen to the decoded signal on site but the isos are recorded raw for the most flexibility in post.

39 minutes ago, Allen Rowand said:

What I do is use regular linking on channels 1-2 and a custom headphone preset to monitor 1-2 with M/S decoding. That way I listen to the decoded signal on site but the isos are recorded raw for the most flexibility in post.

I do the same. I do wish there were away to record both the decoded and raw tracks simultaneously however. I would love it if the isos were true isos - recording the input signal only - and any processing happened only to the stereo bus. To my knowledge though all of the SD products 6-series and newer work this way though, where m-s linking affects isos too. 

-Mike

5 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

Ditto re MS decoding to LR to headphones while recording the M and S as isos, but I don't use stereo (your 'regular') linking unless the mics have identical output (and my MS pairs rarely do).

Cheers,

Roland

• 2 weeks later...

couple questions I've had working with the MixPre for a little bit:

1: Can you store numerous take names like you can on the 744t? I haven't figured out how.  I've created presets where a certain take name is default, but it seems like I have to type in a new name if I want to change it while still in one preset.

2: Can you scroll through your headphone presets using the right dial like on the 744t?  I know I can access them through the menu, but that headphone rotation on the 744t is sure handy.

On 3/1/2018 at 3:49 PM, audiofp said:

I liked the grommet idea.  Found this at Ace, part #405942-M.  I.D. 5/16".  Gives you a nice big diameter and still allows push to select.IMG_2663.jpgIMG_2652.jpg

Do you happen to have a link to this part? Or do you know what the part is actually for or what it is called? I went to an Ace and have looked online but can't find it. Looks like a good solution though!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just found a bug (MixPre 3, fw version 2.21). I've sent it to SD, but sharing here because when it hit me it looked like I had a defective preamp. 

Workaround included. 

When linking channels 1 and 2 in stereo, after unlinking them while keeping channel 2 (which, when linked, is a balance control) centered, 

channel 2 seemed noisier. Turns out some gain offset is applied to it, and channel 2 has a higher gain than channel 1. This at least happens with the gains in Basic mode (the rest of the options are in Advanced mode).

The workaround is simple: after unlinking, if this condition occurs, set the channel 2 input to Line and back to Mic. It will reset the preamp

properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email from Sound Devices this morning:

View this email in your browser
0f700858-b39a-46ab-902d-26f4e729f0ca.png

Come See Us in Amsterdam for IBC 2018!

Sound Devices is celebrating 20 years of excellence at this year's IBC (stand 8.A32). We'll be exhibiting our highly portable, extremely versatile MixPre Series of audio recorders, mixers, and USB audio interfaces. Both Classic and M-models in the multi-faceted series will be showcased, along with the Professionals' standard, Sound Devices' 6-Series mixer/recorders and Audio Limited's A10 Digital Wireless System.

In the spotlight is the upcoming, highly anticipated MixPre version 3.00 firmware, which adds:

• Support for a new Ambisonics plugin for MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T
  • Full MixPre Series integration support for four 3rd-party USB fader controllers
  • Wireless remote transport control & monitoring of M models & Musician plugin via Wingman App on iOS &/or Android mobile devices
 983a8bdb-6679-4c13-8d0f-7cfadf8b4de3.jpg
Stop by Stand 8.A32 to see what else we unveil!

Hopefully v3 will also fix a couple of bugs…

4 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

Full MixPre Series integration support for four 3rd-party USB fader

Very very curious about this, and potentially very very excited, too. 

Especially if they‘ll add more interfaces, or better yet, open up the protocol for anyone to develop a controller

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Especially if they‘ll add more interfaces, or better yet, open up the protocol for anyone to develop a controller

When I asked them to elaborate on the USB descriptor the MP6 was looking for so that I could control it with a keyboard emulator I was told that was "engineering data" and that I should use a recommended keyboard. That doesn't really work for me, as I'm building a remote to start and stop the MixPre and my Blackmagic camera simultaneously. I agree it would be great if they'd publish the protocols and let people get creative.

The other issue is that the MixPre 6 doesn't work with a USB hub between it and the keyboard, meaning we'll have to choose between a controller and keyboard. It'd be nice if Wingman was updated to act as a virtual keyboard to get around this…

Hi All,

Happy to hear about being able to add an off the shelf fader panel with the new MixPre Firmware Update.

This Korg nanoKONTROL Studio     https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/nanoKONTStu--korg-nanokontrol-studio

seems like it might be good, as far as connectivity goes. I hope it would connect to a MixPre 10T via Bluetooth which would leave the MixPre's USB port available as usual for the USB backup flash memory. Looks like the nanoKontrol can be powered by 2 AA batteries - hope Sound Devices allows a direct Bluetooth connection similar to Wingman. 

Regarding the new Sennheiser Ambeo features/support, Sweetwater has an interesting series of Ambeo workflow videos here :

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AMBEO--sennheiser-ambeo-vr-microphone

The 2 gentlemen in the videos did a very thorough job of showing the Ambeo process from beginning to end - love it when a manufacturer presents workflow so cohesively.... great job on this.  When you watch the clip called "A Proximal Visit - TRANSIENCE", click, hold and drag your mouse cursor around to hear the sound perspective change with the video perspective.... kind of cool intro into the possibilities of VR audio. :-) 

Thanks all---- keep well.

Cheers,

Dave

1 hour ago, Allen Rowand said:

It'd be nice if Wingman was updated to act as a virtual keyboard to get around this…

Wingman does act as a virtual keyboard AFAIK. I certainly use it to rename channels, edit file names, enter metadata, etc., in addition to starting and stopping recording. Is there something else a keyboard can do that Wingman can't? I've never needed a keyboard personally. 

I love the support for fader controllers! Thats what I've been hoping for since the MixPre's were released! I can't say I'm too fond of the specific controllers they support yet though - they all seem to have very short throw, plastic faders. I'd love one with some nice long throw faders on it, so a big +1 to adding more options and/or opening up the protocols. 

-Mike

2 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

Wingman does act as a virtual keyboard AFAIK. I certainly use it to rename channels, edit file names, enter metadata, etc., in addition to starting and stopping recording. Is there something else a keyboard can do that Wingman can't? I've never needed a keyboard personally. 

You can't create or rename projects from Wingman (unless I'm missing something) and you can't rename presets. It's not a show stopper, but it would be nice to be able to rename anything on the unit using a larger touch keyboard on my Nexus 6 instead of the tiny onscreen keyboard.

Here’s some links to the four supported USB controllers:

Korg nanoKONTROL Studio

• Product page
  • Average price: $149.99 USD
  • Controls: 8 faders, 8 pots, 32 buttons

preview.jpg

Korg nanoKONTROL2

• Product page
  • Average price: $59.99 USD
  • Controls: 8 faders, 8 pots, 24 buttons

82860_l.jpg

Novation Launch Control XL

• Product page
  • Average price: $149.99
  • Controls: 8 faders, 24 pots, 26 buttons

010074994_01xxl.jpg

Akai MIDImix

• Product page
  • Average price: $99.99 USD
  • Controls: 9 faders, 24 pots, 16 buttons

Akai-MIDImix.jpg

13 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

Video of Paul Issacs at IBC talking about v3, and he drops a major bit of news- MixPre is getting preroll! 10 seconds on the MP10, 5 seconds on MP6 and 3. Also details Ambisonic and fader support. Need to click through, can't embed the video: https://vimeo.com/290032752

Oh yay! Did seem like madness to me that the MixPre series was lacking PreRoll.