Sound Devices Mix Pre-3 and Mix Pre-6

afewmoreyears

I used the Mix Pre 6 on a shoot last night. Lots of boom work in a busy kitchen. I was able to be much more mobile and the shooter was happy that I could squeeze by him to get on the other side in cramped quarters. I sent the signal wireless to his dslr thru a URX P03D dual receiver. I hardly felt I was carrying a mixer. 

On 11/14/2018 at 9:23 AM, newzhack said:

I used the Mix Pre 6 on a shoot last night. Lots of boom work in a busy kitchen. I was able to be much more mobile and the shooter was happy that I could squeeze by him to get on the other side in cramped quarters. I sent the signal wireless to his dslr thru a URX P03D dual receiver. I hardly felt I was carrying a mixer. 

Exactly. I had the same revelation when I started using it as well. No fatigue at the end of a day, its become my go to mixer for doc work.

I look forward to seeing what other compact mixers pop up in the future.

19 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Exactly. I had the same revelation when I started using it as well. No fatigue at the end of a day, its become my go to mixer for doc work.

I look forward to seeing what other compact mixers pop up in the future.

I took my 664 and gave the client a choice. We could lav everyone and I would be less mobile or we could boom and use one wire. He took the smaller package and he was confident in my ability after seeing the 664. I recycled one of my older 195D's that still works great and is in the 500 range

IMG_0082.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I used this mixer for a couple of interviews yesterday and found using the headphone volume for naming tracks to be near impossible with the bag I have. I got this small keyboard that I use with my 664 and it works fine with the mixer. I don's see any keyboard layout info inside the manual. Does anyone have that info? 

IMG_0103.jpg

6 hours ago, newzhack said:

Does anyone have that info? 

For this question I would absolutely go to the source and ask SD directly - and then report the answer here

Or even better, ask them to respond here - it seems good knowledge for all users to have

J

7 hours ago, newzhack said:

I used this mixer for a couple of interviews yesterday and found using the headphone volume for naming tracks to be near impossible with the bag I have. I got this small keyboard that I use with my 664 and it works fine with the mixer. I don's see any keyboard layout info inside the manual. Does anyone have that info? 

IMG_0103.jpg

Why not use the Wingman app for track naming?

16 hours ago, David Lawrence said:

I wonder if the ability to adjust the gain on the Mix Pre's using the Wingman app will become an added feature in the next firmware update?

The problem is, the knobs are not motorized. There would be a disagreement. 

Unless they did something like controlling preamp gain with one source and mix fader with the other one.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:46 PM, Robert Bluemke said:

Why not use the Wingman app for track naming?

+1

Another good mod is to get a small rubber grommet from home depot to fit around the knob which makes it easier to use. Did that to mine and it feels like a 7 series headphone encoder. Way easier to use.

IMO the K tek bag for the mix pre is too bulky. A local outdoors store or military surplus store will have a variety of fanny packs or utility pouches that will fit this mixer perfectly (at a much lower cost).

Well, I guess they got it out before 2019…

0e7c5d2a-22fa-41cf-bb73-f5b7504e51d1.png
c92af72e-c3cc-43ec-83b6-bcb5dcbc3f40.jpg

It's here! Download MixPre v3.00 today for awesome new features and important stability fixes.

4162ddba-dacb-4e4c-aa8f-6cbb5724143d.jpg

USB Control Surfaces

Control your MixPre with the Korg nanoKONTROL Studio or nanoKONTROL2, Akai MIDImix, or Novation Launch Control XL.
6f5fd8af-f810-4ce6-bc0f-355b03f41f1a.jpg

Ambisonics Plugin

The only thing more exciting than a new plugin is a free new plugin. Get ambisonic and binaural recording, monitoring, and playback on your MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T. 
df3c2c39-efcb-4292-a244-d292f25384a1.jpg

Wingman v3.20

Use your iOS or Android devices to control and meter your MixPre-M model or MixPre running the Musician Plugin.
edebd6cd-ea97-4435-9116-bf33dd4ac89d.jpg

ASIO Driver

The new ASIO driver for Windows expands I/O and increases sample rates up to 96 kHz for your MixPre-M model or MixPre running the Musician Plugin.

af8354c4-4aca-4a8c-a36d-3622382d5ce4.png
12f5f9ba-6ad6-4935-b339-98982cb98f9f.png
f08c61d1-886c-4588-a160-b28c388d7eaa.png
ccbc9ae7-4d87-43f1-88a2-625634bfc288.png
0aa4f640-afab-4022-88d7-1a026159abb9.png
e829d3fb-58b7-4752-b44c-300d3731b96d.png
3f59bac4-b08e-4ec2-b701-2b35b0688f31.png

I've just installed it :)

I can confirm they have fixed a bug I reported (crazy channel gain in basic mode when unlinking channels 1 and 2 on the MixPre 3).

There is also preroll (on the MixPre 3, 2 seconds at 96 KHz, 5 at 44.1 KHz) and, big thank you, they listened and added phase reverse to the MixPre 3 inputs. 

Some more changes, so far sounds great ;)

57 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

I agree with Daniel, it's a nice feature, but I sure wouldn't call its lack "an oversight." 

I think it's more of an oversight in terms of marketing. The Zoom F series recorders have more features (preroll, timecode generator, automix, multiple record cards, dedicated control surface) at a similar price point. And for the market these boxes are targeted at, that's a real thing.

10 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

I think it's more of an oversight in terms of marketing. The Zoom F series recorders have more features (preroll, timecode generator, automix, multiple record cards, dedicated control surface) at a similar price point. And for the market these boxes are targeted at, that's a real thing.

Yup, if someone wants a 688/Nomad/SX-R4+ at a much lower price then a F8 is the best way to get most of that. 

While the MixPre6 (Sound Device's most direct price competitor to the F8) is not at all a "mini priced 688" but is something completely different. 

16 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

Who knows. Preroll is important for field recording applications such as nature, effects gathering, etc. And I think it's considered a given. My two previous recorders (Marantz PMD661mkii and Fostex FR-2LE) have it. 

Yes, I think there was some marketing oversight when they implemented polarity reversal on the MixPre 6 and 10. It's free to do with the SoC they are using if you implement it with the FPGA. But preroll can be a bit more tricky. Anyway I would dare to say that they are changing the focus from a purely marketing perspective "let's restrict this feature so that customers buy the next model" towards a "let's add this feature if the hardware can support it". That purely marketing decision is what I called "offensive" some time ago with no offense intended of course ;)

Although in the traditional Sound Devices universe the MixPres are a dime a dozen (not criticizing the prices of the traditional units at all, I know you are purchasing so much more than some iron and silicon) the MixPres have entered a market where prices are generally much lower. Of course, I imagine that Sound Devices will be able and willing to service a MixPre in 5 years. I wonder about other manufacturers competing in the same segment. Probably the rest will be churning new models almost yearly.