Success with Non Approved Series 6 Media

chris_bollard

the extreme pro 95mb/s would be a likely candidate, but might be worth to bug SD about updating the list with a 128/256GB card.

the extreme plus 80mb/s 128GB still seem to be available in germany in a few shops around 100-140EUR, shoot me a PM if worst comes to worst

chris

8 hours ago, chris_bollard said:

Thanks Chris

I mate has confirmed that the Lexar 128 Gb 600x SD card works. 

I bought the 633x and that most definitely does not work ; freeze and locks out that drive

Many cards will work until they suddenly don't work, and cause a world of trouble at the worst possible time. I am sure SD will release bigger cards or will test new cards, but in the meantime just go with smaller capacities. The only reason for a big card is to archive several days or weeks of work. If you use a smaller card, you just have to copy it over to a hard drive more frequently. A small price to pay for peace of mind. But perhaps that's just me.

42 minutes ago, RPSharman said:

Many cards will work until they suddenly don't work, and cause a world of trouble at the worst possible time. I am sure SD will release bigger cards or will test new cards, but in the meantime just go with smaller capacities. The only reason for a big card is to archive several days or weeks of work. If you use a smaller card, you just have to copy it over to a hard drive more frequently. A small price to pay for peace of mind. But perhaps that's just me.

+1   My thoughts exactly...  Personally, I drop data each evening on my CF...  Reformat and go fresh each day... SD card will keep a few days data...then thats archived as well...  Unless your on a show with no time, drive or laptop... or you don't want to do it in the jungle on "Naked and afraid",  I don't see any issue with a 64GB card lets say,  at all.  I always like to get the data off and somewhere else rather than let it sit on a card... for no particular reason.. To each their own workflow wise, your needs may be different..  

Good luck finding your SD card Chris... 

Like I said dailies are CF. All sorted there. 

64 Gb are kind of in between for me. Maybe get 4 days on it. Would be nice to get a whole week and do the dump to back up hard drive at the end of the week. And it seems that the list of approved media hasn't changed or expanded for a long time - some of what is on it is no longer available. 

Edited by chris_bollard
Expansion

15 hours ago, chris_bollard said:

Like I said dailies are CF. All sorted there. 

64 Gb are kind of in between for me. Maybe get 4 days on it. Would be nice to get a whole week and do the dump to back up hard drive at the end of the week. And it seems that the list of approved media hasn't changed or expanded for a long time - some of what is on it is no longer available. 

Like I said, dumping off more frequently to insure proper functioning of the machine seems wiser that using non-approved media :-)

I agree an updated list would be nice, as some of this media is less easy to come by. But in the meantime, stick with the list.

I've had a bad experience with non approved cards. Had a non approved 16GB SD and approved 32GB CF, recorder locked up in the middle of the take, no recording found on both media. Stick to approved cards and as mentioned above, maybe try and dump dailies to an external hard drive, laptop or those fancy portable back up drives from Nexto or Sanho.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk