NEW: Timecode Systems | UltraSync One

VASI

• 1 year later...

Hi! 

I really like the ultrasync one units but the din 1.0/2.3 connector is horrible.

Just two of the cables connectors were torn of, one in my camera bag and one on the camera.

Does anyone know how to repair them?

There is an outer ring, but it doesnt tighten or loosen the cable inside,

there is a small pipe where the cable has to go in, but it doesnt hold its place so I dont know how to attach the cable again.

As Timecode Systems dont warranty their cables (maybe for a reason)

this can get really expensive as I have to pay about 100 euros with tax and shipping for a single y-cable.

Is there a description of how to attach this connector to a cable somewhere on the web?

I dont find it anywhere..

Ultrasync cable.jpg

Ultrasync cable 2.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sound said:

Hi! 

I really like the ultrasync one units but the din 1.0/2.3 connector is horrible.

Just two of the cables connectors were torn of, one in my camera bag and one on the camera.

Does anyone know how to repair them?

There is an outer ring, but it doesnt tighten or loosen the cable inside,

there is a small pipe where the cable has to go in, but it doesnt hold its place so I dont know how to attach the cable again.

As Timecode Systems dont warranty their cables (maybe for a reason)

this can get really expensive as I have to pay about 100 euros with tax and shipping for a single y-cable.

Is there a description of how to attach this connector to a cable somewhere on the web?

I dont find it anywhere..

Ultrasync cable.jpg

Ultrasync cable 2.jpg

A quick google search will guide you to a lot of shops with the DIN 1.0/2.3 plug ready to ship with a price of about 4€ per piece. ;) And it also reveals, that the plug has to be crimped so you need to get a crimp tool (unless you already have one).

1 hour ago, Michael Manzke said:

A quick google search will guide you to a lot of shops with the DIN 1.0/2.3 plug ready to ship with a price of about 4€ per piece. ;) And it also reveals, that the plug has to be crimped so you need to get a crimp tool (unless you already have one).

Thanks a lot! I found this

DIN 1.0/2.3 series of RF connectors are available in 50 ohm and 75 ohm versions. These micro miniature connectors are designed to meet the standards IEC 61169-29, CECC 22230 & DIN 47297 and feature a push-pull coupling.  1.0/2.3 are widely used for digital telecommunications and due to their small size, our true 75 ohm versions are increasingly being used in broadcast, as an alternative to BNC.

So I guess its the 75 ohm version? 

1 hour ago, Sound Grab said:

You can also buy BNC to DIN 1.0/2.3 adapters which is a godsend.

You mean in order so make a bnc Y cable and then adapt to DIN 1.0/2.3 ?

Then I could change the Din 1.0/2.3 when it breaks again but it gets quite bulky..

2 hours ago, Sound said:

I found some on ebay, very cheap shipping from china.

These are 50 ohms, can I use them?

Buy both, give feedback. They are cheap ;-)

Buying cheap electronics from China I mostly prefer aliexpress/alibaba, gearbest, bangood, tradingshenzen over ebay.

8 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Buy both, give feedback. They are cheap 😉

Buying cheap electronics from China I mostly prefer aliexpress/alibaba, gearbest, bangood, tradingshenzen over ebay.

Thanks. I looked on all these sites but found nothing. On eBay I only found 50 ohm..

Don't worry about 75 Ohm vs 50 Ohm BNC connectors at frequencies below 500 MHz. The BNC connector's internal conductor is many times shorter than a 1/4 wavelength at anything below 500 MHz. At the frequencies you are involved with in this application, the best analyzer made, used by the most anal mad scientist couldn't measure a difference in performance.

Best Regards,

Larry F

9 hours ago, Sound said:

Thanks. I looked on all these sites but found nothing. On eBay I only found 50 ohm..

Strange. When I search for "din 1.0/2.3" on aliexpress.com i get lots of results for cheap preconfigured cables, a little further down are cheap connectors angled and straight in various quantities. What I've quickly checked did not specify any impedance, but as Larry pointed out this is irellevant for the application.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:07 PM, LarryF said:

Don't worry about 75 Ohm vs 50 Ohm BNC connectors at frequencies below 500 MHz. The BNC connector's internal conductor is many times shorter than a 1/4 wavelength at anything below 500 MHz. At the frequencies you are involved with in this application, the best analyzer made, used by the most anal mad scientist couldn't measure a difference in performance.

Best Regards,

Larry F

Thanks!!!!

I wrote a reseller of Coax and it's always getting more confusing:

Reseller:

We can probably get the DIN 1,0/2,3 connectors for you and also the tooling to crimp them on. The toolig however is rather expensive.

In order to help you, I need to know he type of cable it should be crimped on.

Can you tell me what is printed on that cable?

Me:

Thanks for your help.
On the cable It says mil-c-17F RG174(1.5C-2v) 75 ohm coaxial cable.
Doesn't a simple crimp tool like this do the job?
Regards 

Reseller:

RG174 cable is 50 ohm. I do not understand  how somebody  can build a cable, 75 ohm, and call it RG174.

I have no idea what connector to look for

Me:

I can find Rg174 cables with 75 ohm on the internet.
Like this one:

Do you have a din 1.2/2.3 connector with 75 ohm that fits on this cable?
What crimp tool do you need?
Regards

Do you really need a very expensive speciality crimp tool or just a cheap generic cable crimp tool for 12 euros?

23 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Strange. When I search for "din 1.0/2.3" on aliexpress.com i get lots of results for cheap preconfigured cables, a little further down are cheap connectors angled and straight in various quantities. What I've quickly checked did not specify any impedance, but as Larry pointed out this is irellevant for the application.

You are right. In Germany they converted the description to din 1,0/2,3. Now I even found exactly the same cable for half the price. 34 Euros seems much more realistic for these kind of cables.. I will order one there as well as from ultrasync and see if they both work the same way.. but still it would be interesting to be able to repair these cables. 

2 hours ago, Sound said:

You are right. In Germany they converted the description to din 1,0/2,3. Now I even found exactly the same cable for half the price. 34 Euros seems much more realistic for these kind of cables.. I will order one there as well as from ultrasync and see if they both work the same way.. but still it would be interesting to be able to repair these cables. 

I am not sure what you found there.

"din 1.0/2.3" 75ohm gives me preconfigured cables, in the 1 to 3 Euro range, straight or angled, to BNC male or female, advertised as 75Ohm. The Din part is not explicitly advertised as 75Ohm, but then, what Larry said. If you have the time to wait for cheap shipping, try those out, before you spent 34 Euro or crimp yourself. When you need more than 1, you'll find even cheaper lots further down.

Here are my first finds, probably not even the cheapest:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000400858677.html

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/33005665582.html

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that judging from your photo, you do not want a BNC but rather a TRS Jack.

6 hours ago, DanieldH said:

I am not sure what you found there.

"din 1.0/2.3" 75ohm gives me preconfigured cables, in the 1 to 3 Euro range, straight or angled, to BNC male or female, advertised as 75Ohm. The Din part is not explicitly advertised as 75Ohm, but then, what Larry said. If you have the time to wait for cheap shipping, try those out, before you spent 34 Euro or crimp yourself. When you need more than 1, you'll find even cheaper lots further down.

Here are my first finds, probably not even the cheapest:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000400858677.html

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/33005665582.html

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that judging from your photo, you do not want a BNC but rather a TRS Jack.

So you know what crimp tool to look for?

Is it just a simple one for 12 euros or is there any "special" tool needed?

I found this:

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/32848257254.html?pid=808_0003_0109&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32848257254&aff_trace_key=471732ec3d984df9ada1635648d60cd5-1588310499619-08382-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=6998amp-ADKsYKRPaBSaR3qeAPWkvQ1588428107532&browser_id=f0d66a2dd5094abca7abe708dbc0eca4&is_c=N

It's a very special cable as it is a y cable with one din and one minijack female. I don't think I will find it for 2 euros.

Well, looking at your photo I'd give it a try to replace the cable to the DIN 1.0/2.3 at the Neutrik NTP3RC with one of the cables from the links I provided (or any other cheap offer) and dispose the BNC. But thats only me. If you'd have to buy soldering tools instead of a cheap crimper, you may want go another path.

For my understanding, is it only timecode you want to send through this cable, not usable analog audio or some high bandwidth digital signal?

7 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Well, looking at your photo I'd give it a try to replace the cable to the DIN 1.0/2.3 at the Neutrik NTP3RC with one of the cables from the links I provided (or any other cheap offer) and dispose the BNC. But thats only me. If you'd have to buy soldering tools instead of a cheap crimper, you may want go another path.

For my understanding, is it only timecode you want to send through this cable, not usable analog audio or some high bandwidth digital signal?

No. It's timecode plus analog Audio. That's why I use the y-splitter. So I can feed timecode plus a simple on camera mic to the camera audio. Sometimes the on camera audio really saved me. I had to use the audio from the camera when there was a part where the recording didn't start or I just used it as a reference for plural eyes where the timecode didn't work. I guess for audio 75 or 50 ohm makes a difference?? For the din connector I think it doesn't as it's only for the channel that transports timecode.

Do you now of which expensive crimp tool the reseller was talking? Does a simple cheap crimp tool do the job? Or does the din connector need a speciality tool?

By the way. A simple bnc to minijack connector is just 19 euros on AliExpress. I think it's worth that price so I don't have to hassle with adapters. I don't want to have a bulky adapter just on the output of the ultrasync so the output connector can break in my bag.

The nature of DIY is that one spends a lot of time of researching and tinkering until things work exactly as planned (unless one has a lot of prior experience).

it seems to me that you worry too much about a lot of things, I suggest you re-read this thread again, and then make a decision if you want to go the route with mini-bnc or full size plus adapter, then crimped or presoldered bnc.... and then simply try it : )

or if you are worried you can‘t pull it off just spend the money to have it made.

1 hour ago, Sound said:

A simple bnc to minijack connector is just 19 euros on AliExpress.

How is this applied? If the assignment of contacts meets your needs... whatever floats your boat. You add another point of failiure though.

Here, by the way are the official Canare tools. https://m.markertek.com/product/dcp-c25hd/canare-dcp-c25hd-din-1-0-2-3-crimp-connector-l-2-5chd-1855a Check the price of the die. I guess Amphenol, Molex, Switchcraft and however else may provide these have a similar price range. 

75Ohm Versions of the connector are available on mouser.de for 6,xx Euro. At least Switchcraft provides various versions for various cables of that connector. (depending on diameter I'd guess.) The easiest way may be soldering at the TRS.

2 hours ago, chrismedr said:

The nature of DIY is that one spends a lot of time of researching and tinkering until things work exactly as planned (unless one has a lot of prior experience).

it seems to me that you worry too much about a lot of things, I suggest you re-read this thread again, and then make a decision if you want to go the route with mini-bnc or full size plus adapter, then crimped or presoldered bnc.... and then simply try it : )

or if you are worried you can‘t pull it off just spend the money to have it made.

I just want to repair the cables I already own. I was just unsure because the reseller spoke about a special very expensive crimping tool. As I have never crimped cables (only soldered) I don't know if a generic crimping tool gets the job done. I dont find any explanation on the web how to attach din connectors to a cable. Has anyone here tried this before? Does a simple 12 euro crimping tool work? 

2 hours ago, DanieldH said:

How is this applied? If the assignment of contacts meets your needs... whatever floats your boat. You add another point of failiure though.

Oh I didn't mean bnc to minijack. I mean din 1.0/2.3 to minijack for 19 euro. That sounds fair. But a y-cable is about 34 on AliExpress. Anyway, I am sure I will have to repair a lot of those in the future so I definitely have to know how to repair them! I already ordered the connectors, just have to find out what crimping tools to use. Thanks for your help!! And sorry for all these questions but I don't have any experience in crimping these connectors.. I will keep you up to date when the connectors are here from China and I managed to repair one.

3 hours ago, Sound said:

I just want to repair the cables I already own. I was just unsure because the reseller spoke about a special very expensive crimping tool. As I have never crimped cables (only soldered) I don't know if a generic crimping tool gets the job done. I dont find any explanation on the web how to attach din connectors to a cable. Has anyone here tried this before? Does a simple 12 euro crimping tool work? 

In the old days, we've crimped our BNCs to RG59 for various video signals, including timecode, in the local TV station. The crimp tools especially the dies where a few hundred Deutschmark, the connectors where moderate. Then came SDI and we needed new cables with new BNCs with new dies, all fitted to each other and the senitive digital signal. A wile later, the BNCs and the crimp tools made for analog video poped up cheaper on Conrad Electronics and alike.
Timecode is an incredibly forgiving, low bandwidth, digital signal from the middle-ages of the film and TV industry. After all, it tells you max 30 times a second, what time it is and how many times it has told this before within the very second. It fits well through analog video and you can daisy-chain that signal through many machines across studio buildings. You can send it through twisted pair audio cables, through XLR and in your case through a 3,5mm jack.

US1 has decided to output their TC signal via a miniature connector that is used for high bandwith digital signals such as modern SDI (, not even the early SDI generations I wrote about earlier). Whatever their reason for this decision is, it is expensive to re-crimp this connector by the book, because it is a connector made for tasks that is way more fault intolerant than connecting a TC signal. You need to dig through the catalogs of Amphenol, Molex, Switchcraft, etc. They provide exact information on what version of their connector is specified for what cable. You can hope that your cable is among them or that your cable comes with close enough diameters. Then you need a crimper with or without an interchangable die, that has the appropriate hex dimensions for your version of the connector. The official dies are expencive. If you are very lucky, there is a cheap 12Eur crimper that is accidentally close enough to these hex dimensions. Or, you just try your household pliers to fix this little pipe in place (and ignore the kink protection) for timecode, this may be good enough.
But since you have soldering experience, why don't you fix your cable on the TRS jack with a cheap cable someone else has already put a DIN 1.0/2.3 on?