NEW: Ambient | NanoLockit

VASI

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, alenK said:

How do replace the batteries when and if you need to 5 years from now?

Thank you.

I asked them when at NAB and they said you would have to send them in and have them replaced. Not user replaceable. But they can be replaced which is good and not a throw away device. 

• 3 months later...

I got a pair on 4-1-18. 

I was able to talk production into their necessity and the advantages provided in post. I basically described what was involved in making the sound and video sync up, I didn't get into GenLok as the shots did not exceed 5mins, no 3D, indie film, etc. 

If I were new sound guy looking for an inexpensive reliable timecode solution the NanoLockit is a solid investment.

I am going to make some adapter cables for the cables that come with the Nanolockits( 5pinLemo——>Male 3.5mm TRS).

Female 3.5mm TRS——>BNC

Female 3.5mm TRS——>5pinLemo

Female 3.5mm TRS<—— 5pinLemo

These seem legit, Rean 3.5mm TRS FEMALE

Who knows where to get cheap authentic 5pin Lemo connectors?

6 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Cheap and authentic doesn’t exist. Only

Lemo makes authentic connectors and they aren’t cheap. There are knock offs that are cheaper. 

14 hours ago, Alejandro Reyes said:

Hey Dalton,

The Nanolokits are my next investments within the next 2 months. I'm hoping to at least get two, how do you like them so far? 

I originally borrowed them from a co worker and had the initial concerns, ( no LCD, no batts, no dipswitchs) He assured me they run as long as they are charged. I also understand battery technology has improved significantly over the past few years. I am not concerned with the internal batt wearing down, but will keep it in mind and test the units periodically for battery length.

I have not yet connected them using the ACN. So far I use them as stand alone units, jammed via Lemo on my SD664 (wouldn't work well long term, but temp is OK).

Speaking of investments, I plan on acquiring an Ambient Lockit Slate for ACN Master. I just can't stand it how PA's will but my $1.5k slate on the floor, but they wouldn't dream of putting their $500 iPhone on the floor ( sometimes I ask them). My favorite question is "how long do I have to hold this for". 

ALENK-I hear you; 5 years goes quick. 

RYANPEDS- Thank you for sparing me the headache of finding that out on my own. I had a thought that was the case; Lemo brand was expensive and there were cheap knockoffs. I will make class A authentic connectors, and class B economy connectors. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2018 at 6:03 PM, Dalton Patterson said:

I got a pair on 4-1-18. 

I was able to talk production into their necessity and the advantages provided in post. I basically described what was involved in making the sound and video sync up, I didn't get into GenLok as the shots did not exceed 5mins, no 3D, indie film, etc. 

If I were new sound guy looking for an inexpensive reliable timecode solution the NanoLockit is a solid investment.

I am going to make some adapter cables for the cables that come with the Nanolockits( 5pinLemo——>Male 3.5mm TRS).

Female 3.5mm TRS——>BNC

Female 3.5mm TRS——>5pinLemo

Female 3.5mm TRS<—— 5pinLemo

These seem legit, Rean 3.5mm TRS FEMALE

Im making my adapter cables now.

I was searching for the wiring and I found my own post…Funny...

• 4 months later...

Got both Mozegear and Tentacles and yes, since the Sony FS7 has taken its toll of the market here, I can't check the TC as easily as with the C300 which has an LCD on the back. The new unit from Denecke is nice but can't jam wirelessly. My next unit(s) would both have a display and the wireless jamming function. 

Used the Nano's recently on a Sony PMW-200 handheld ENG camera. It had a good place next to the BNC plugs on the right side of the camera (fittet with velcro) and the camera operator was quite happy with it!

It was not possible to power the Nano with the USB output of the cam. Well, it was possible, but the camera refused to record, recognizing the Nano as some unkown USB drive.

On 9/30/2018 at 1:48 PM, Mungo said:

the camera refused to record, recognizing the Nano as some unkown USB drive.

Ups, that's an interesting one.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:15 PM, alidav said:

nobody is missing a display on the nanolockit?

On 9/28/2018 at 12:38 AM, Boomboom said:

since the Sony FS7 has taken its toll of the market here, I can't check the TC as easily as with the C300 which has an LCD on the back.

The fun fact is, that we saw quite some support inquiries that did so (apparently with display equipped larger Lockits) and complained about a "TC offset" between the displays. Refusing the expalnation of the obvious, that a camera primarily is a video capturing device with less priority on displaying frame accurate TC and the latency of ANY kind of display in general I had to console one team actually by proofing

with a controller the TC was identical - we haven'T seen such complaints ever with the Nano. Still, we wre discussing the very isue in terms of future products. Currently we would be leaning towards an app, though. What's your take on this?

On 9/30/2018 at 4:48 AM, Mungo said:

It was not possible to power the Nano with the USB output of the cam. Well, it was possible, but the camera refused to record, recognizing the Nano as some unkown USB drive.

You might want to try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-3rd-Gen-Data-Blocker/dp/B00QRRZ2QM

It blocks the data lines but passes power, so the camera shouldn't see it.

2 hours ago, Klaus said:

Refusing the expalnation of the obvious, that a camera primarily is a video capturing device with less priority on displaying frame accurate TC and the latency of ANY kind of display in general I had to console one team actually by proofing

with a controller the TC was identical

Thank you very much for chiming in here. 

I have been advocating for no display. 

I feel there are enough blinking or flashing LED lights on a camera already. Having display on an IOS APP would be OK for me. 

I guess there are still manual window hand cranks in cars just in case you drive off a dock like in the movies and have to roll your window down manually and swim out!

Full disclosure; my Tacoma has hand crank windows. 

3 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Thank you very much for chiming in here. 

I have been advocating for no display. 

I feel there are enough blinking or flashing LED lights on a camera already. Having display on an IOS APP would be OK for me. 

I guess there are still manual window hand cranks in cars just in case you drive off a dock like in the movies and have to roll your window down manually and swim out!

Full disclosure; my Tacoma has hand crank windows. 

I agree, using an app (iOS and Android, please) to confirm what the TC device is doing isn't a big deal. I use my old Nexus 6 phablet for Wingman and GoPro control so I always have that handy. Lives on an articulated arm attached to my camera.

My car doesn't have window cranks, but my daily carry pocket knife has a glass breaking spike… guess I'm good in case I wind up in the Pacific!

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Klaus said:

Ups, that's an interesting one.

The fun fact is, that we saw quite some support inquiries that did so (apparently with display equipped larger Lockits) and complained about a "TC offset" between the displays. Refusing the expalnation of the obvious, that a camera primarily is a video capturing device with less priority on displaying frame accurate TC and the latency of ANY kind of display in general I had to console one team actually by proofing

with a controller the TC was identical - we haven'T seen such complaints ever with the Nano. Still, we wre discussing the very isue in terms of future products. Currently we would be leaning towards an app, though. What's your take on this?

What I meant is for quick spot checks here and there during the day and back from lunch; if you're one second off you know immediately. With my 633 it's been usefull sometimes just before shooting after a break since the internal clock has a limited time holding the TC . WHICH leads me to another topic: it would be great, since you already got a ''foot in the door'', to talk with Sound Devices about implementing an optional  hardware (or software, as you wish) option transmitter that would work with the ACN system to send TC to our boxes from the mixer/recorder.

• 4 years later...

I just bought a set of 2x of these to use as yet another timecode tool with jb1’s zaxcom erx/rx/urx’s. Love the creative potential on how i might put these to good use now that i am getting familiar with how they operate. Going through the manual and this may have been covered already in the manual but I may have missed it. I would like to try to use with my nova for a particular purpose - is it possible if I build a custom y cable can I continuously feed timecode into a nanolockit set a special mode while simultaneously sending timecode out y-cabled from that same unit? I would love to be able to use this as a secondary wireless time code feed that continuously jams from my nova while also being able to monitor its timecode output in the nova timecode menu. Not having a built-in screen is a bit of a bummer but I figured this might be a way around it if I could get it to work. Also great for timecode playback or record run functions and being able to see a visual display of that time code on my nova’s time code menu.

You are confusing me by calling it a Y cable, but I think in principle what you are proposing should work.

This is what you are proposing?
TC-Out from Nova -> Nanolockit -> continuous jamming TC -> Nanolockit TC -> TC-In on Nova -> view Nanolockit TC on the Nova screen.

And, Nanolockit acts as master Tx to distribute TC to all other lockits.

All this makes sense to me and it should work, but I haven't done it.