Jump to content
VAS

NEW: Ambient | NanoLockit

Recommended Posts

Currently not through the LockitToolbox. However, if you jam with Time of day and set the userbits to MM.DD.YY.AD it wil acept the American Date scheme and set the RTC accordingly.

Oh, and in Rome they use the EU scheme,IIRC :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. That's what I have been doing. The work around is fine, but I'd like to be able to set the RTC and jam off that. Is there a timeline for LockitToolbox to have this option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am connecting my new nano to my computer, a mac running Sierra 10.12.1.  I have downloaded Ambient Lockit toolbox both 5.0 and 5.10 and the software does not recognize the Nanos.  

What am I missing here?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, alenK said:

How do replace the batteries when and if you need to 5 years from now?

 

Thank you.

I asked them when at NAB and they said you would have to send them in and have them replaced. Not user replaceable. But they can be replaced which is good and not a throw away device. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a pair on 4-1-18. 

 

I was able to talk production into their necessity and the advantages provided in post. I basically described what was involved in making the sound and video sync up, I didn't get into GenLok as the shots did not exceed 5mins, no 3D, indie film, etc. 

 

If I were new sound guy looking for an inexpensive reliable timecode solution the NanoLockit is a solid investment.

 

I am going to make some adapter cables for the cables that come with the Nanolockits( 5pinLemo——>Male 3.5mm TRS).

 

Female 3.5mm TRS——>BNC

Female 3.5mm TRS——>5pinLemo

Female 3.5mm TRS<—— 5pinLemo

 

These seem legit, Rean 3.5mm TRS FEMALE

 

Who knows where to get cheap authentic 5pin Lemo connectors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Who knows where to get cheap authentic 5pin Lemo connectors?

Cheap and authentic doesn’t exist. Only

Lemo makes authentic connectors and they aren’t cheap. There are knock offs that are cheaper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Alejandro Reyes said:

Hey Dalton,

 

The Nanolokits are my next investments within the next 2 months. I'm hoping to at least get two, how do you like them so far? 

I originally borrowed them from a co worker and had the initial concerns, ( no LCD, no batts, no dipswitchs) He assured me they run as long as they are charged. I also understand battery technology has improved significantly over the past few years. I am not concerned with the internal batt wearing down, but will keep it in mind and test the units periodically for battery length.

 

I have not yet connected them using the ACN. So far I use them as stand alone units, jammed via Lemo on my SD664 (wouldn't work well long term, but temp is OK).

 

Speaking of investments, I plan on acquiring an Ambient Lockit Slate for ACN Master. I just can't stand it how PA's will but my $1.5k slate on the floor, but they wouldn't dream of putting their $500 iPhone on the floor ( sometimes I ask them). My favorite question is "how long do I have to hold this for". 

 

ALENK-I hear you; 5 years goes quick. 

 

RYANPEDS- Thank you for sparing me the headache of finding that out on my own. I had a thought that was the case; Lemo brand was expensive and there were cheap knockoffs. I will make class A authentic connectors, and class B economy connectors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 6:03 PM, Dalton Patterson said:

I got a pair on 4-1-18. 

 

I was able to talk production into their necessity and the advantages provided in post. I basically described what was involved in making the sound and video sync up, I didn't get into GenLok as the shots did not exceed 5mins, no 3D, indie film, etc. 

 

If I were new sound guy looking for an inexpensive reliable timecode solution the NanoLockit is a solid investment.

 

I am going to make some adapter cables for the cables that come with the Nanolockits( 5pinLemo——>Male 3.5mm TRS).

 

Female 3.5mm TRS——>BNC

Female 3.5mm TRS——>5pinLemo

Female 3.5mm TRS<—— 5pinLemo

 

These seem legit, Rean 3.5mm TRS FEMALE

 

Who knows where to get cheap authentic 5pin Lemo connectors?

Im making my adapter cables now.

 

I was searching for the wiring and I found my own post…Funny...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got both Mozegear and Tentacles and yes, since the Sony FS7 has taken its toll of the market here, I can't check the TC as easily as with the C300 which has an LCD on the back. The new unit from Denecke is nice but can't jam wirelessly. My next unit(s) would both have a display and the wireless jamming function. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used the Nano's recently on a Sony PMW-200 handheld ENG camera. It had a good place next to the BNC plugs on the right side of the camera (fittet with velcro) and the camera operator was quite happy with it!

It was not possible to power the Nano with the USB output of the cam. Well, it was possible, but the camera refused to record, recognizing the Nano as some unkown USB drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 1:48 PM, Mungo said:

the camera refused to record, recognizing the Nano as some unkown USB drive.

Ups, that's an interesting one.

 

On 9/27/2018 at 11:15 PM, alidav said:

nobody is missing a display on the nanolockit?

 

On 9/28/2018 at 12:38 AM, Boomboom said:

 since the Sony FS7 has taken its toll of the market here, I can't check the TC as easily as with the C300 which has an LCD on the back.

The fun fact is, that we saw quite some support inquiries that did so (apparently with display equipped larger Lockits) and complained about a "TC offset" between the displays. Refusing the expalnation of the obvious, that a camera primarily is a video capturing device with less priority on displaying frame accurate TC and the latency of ANY kind of display in general I had to console one team actually by proofing

with a controller the TC was identical - we haven'T seen such complaints ever with the Nano. Still, we wre discussing the very isue in terms of future products. Currently we would be leaning towards an app, though. What's your take on this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 4:48 AM, Mungo said:

It was not possible to power the Nano with the USB output of the cam. Well, it was possible, but the camera refused to record, recognizing the Nano as some unkown USB drive.

 

You might want to try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-3rd-Gen-Data-Blocker/dp/B00QRRZ2QM

 

It blocks the data lines but passes power, so the camera shouldn't see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Klaus said:

Refusing the expalnation of the obvious, that a camera primarily is a video capturing device with less priority on displaying frame accurate TC and the latency of ANY kind of display in general I had to console one team actually by proofing

with a controller the TC was identical

 

Thank you very much for chiming in here. 

 

I have been advocating for no display. 

 

I feel there are enough blinking or flashing LED lights on a camera already. Having display on an IOS APP would be OK for me. 

 

I guess there are still manual window hand cranks in cars just in case you drive off a dock like in the movies and have to roll your window down manually and swim out!

 

Full disclosure; my Tacoma has hand crank windows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

 

Thank you very much for chiming in here. 

 

I have been advocating for no display. 

 

I feel there are enough blinking or flashing LED lights on a camera already. Having display on an IOS APP would be OK for me. 

 

I guess there are still manual window hand cranks in cars just in case you drive off a dock like in the movies and have to roll your window down manually and swim out!

 

Full disclosure; my Tacoma has hand crank windows. 

 

I agree, using an app (iOS and Android, please) to confirm what the TC device is doing isn't a big deal. I use my old Nexus 6 phablet for Wingman and GoPro control so I always have that handy. Lives on an articulated arm attached to my camera.

 

My car doesn't have window cranks, but my daily carry pocket knife has a glass breaking spike… guess I'm good in case I wind up in the Pacific!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Klaus said:

Ups, that's an interesting one.

 

 

The fun fact is, that we saw quite some support inquiries that did so (apparently with display equipped larger Lockits) and complained about a "TC offset" between the displays. Refusing the expalnation of the obvious, that a camera primarily is a video capturing device with less priority on displaying frame accurate TC and the latency of ANY kind of display in general I had to console one team actually by proofing

with a controller the TC was identical - we haven'T seen such complaints ever with the Nano. Still, we wre discussing the very isue in terms of future products. Currently we would be leaning towards an app, though. What's your take on this?

 

 

What I meant is for quick spot checks here and there during the day and back from lunch; if you're one second off you know immediately. With my 633 it's been usefull sometimes just before shooting after a break since the internal clock has a limited time holding the TC . WHICH leads me to another topic: it would be great, since you already got a ''foot in the door'', to talk with Sound Devices about implementing an optional  hardware (or software, as you wish) option transmitter that would work with the ACN system to send TC to our boxes from the mixer/recorder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×