RIP - Jonathan Demme

Jeff Wexler

jonathan-demme.jpg

This is so sad... what an amazingly kind and wonderful man. I never managed to do a whole movie with Jonathan, but first worked with him doing pick-ups on a movie in the Corman era, "Caged Heat" in 1974 at the beginnings of both if our careers.

"Jonathan Demme, the Oscar-winning director of Philadelphia and The Silence of the Lambs and the filmmaker who revolutionized concert movies with his 1984 Talking Heads movie Stop Making Sense, died Wednesday morning from esophegal cancer. He was 73."

Daniel and I were talking earlier today about him - I hadn't heard the sad news. For me the first and stand out film was Swimming To Cambodia, with the great Spalding Gray, which in its way gave the template for Stop Making Sense. Two films from my youth which meant a fair bit to me.

Jez x

21 minutes ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Daniel and I were talking earlier today about him - I hadn't heard the sad news. For me the first and stand out film was Swimming To Cambodia, with the great Spalding Gray, which in its way gave the template for Stop Making Sense. Two films from my youth which meant a fair bit to me.

Jez x

And I've just realised that Swimming To Cambodia came after Stop Making Sense, in fact several years. My brain might be jelly but my suit still fits.