Sound cars

Bubu

Hi all, I'm curious if any of you have/are using custimized sound vans/cars, and If you have made some nice and practical solutions for keeping the gear in place. Thinking about getting a small van and I'm looking for ideas!

Thanks! 

I use something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015MZQ7DG/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1494001118&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=electric+dehumidifier&dpPl=1&dpID=41AZyUwjsUL&ref=plSrch

I just drop it into the car at home and leave it on for the night. It stops at a pre-defined moisture level. It helps to have a garage... but it pulls a lot of water out of the car

On 5/6/2017 at 10:18 AM, Wandering Ear said:

I built shelves in my Astro van and love it.

Hey Kelsey, are they secure when driving? E.G: how do you keep the plastic crates from sliding out on a left turn? Are the shelves angled at all? Do you bungee them in? I'm still using my Safari (Astro), and I just love it...cannot leave it.

My father had a Dodge Tradesman loaded to the gills with toolboxes. He simply angled the shelves a few degrees and it really took a lot to spill them. 

6 hours ago, cstauffer said:

Wandering Ear, you have a great security system!

CRAIG

The best!

3 hours ago, Rachel Cameron said:

Hey Kelsey, are they secure when driving? E.G: how do you keep the plastic crates from sliding out on a left turn? Are the shelves angled at all? Do you bungee them in? I'm still using my Safari (Astro), and I just love it...cannot leave it.

My father had a Dodge Tradesman loaded to the gills with toolboxes. He simply angled the shelves a few degrees and it really took a lot to spill them. 

The shelves are bolted to the floor and the walls with half a dozen metal brackets.  After this photo was taken I added permanent ratchet straps across the shelves that hold the crates in.  They are quick to release, and very secure.

I originally designed the shelves with a lip so I could take the crates out without loosening straps, but the extra couple inches per shelf added too much height to get 3 rows.

Because of the curved shape of the Astro walls, there is space behind the crates to store items less often accessed like large rugs, mic stands, etc.  I also store 5 cable rugs vertically on the back of the shelves behind the second rear door.

IMG_20170509_133417732_HDR.jpg

Edited by Wandering Ear
Added photo

I'd be reluctant to drive a van full of heavy stuff without a steel bulkhead. Also adds security.

A powered dehumidifier is great if you are plugged in. Way more effective than mine if you have a van full of wet carpets or something. It is quite important in colder and damper climates to control the moisture in an enclosed vehicle. Never had to worry about it in my trailer in LA. In the UK it's a battle. I have partially insulated the van as well.

13 hours ago, RPSharman said:

A powered dehumidifier is great if you are plugged in. Way more effective than mine if you have a van full of wet carpets or something. It is quite important in colder and damper climates to control the moisture in an enclosed vehicle. Never had to worry about it in my trailer in LA. In the UK it's a battle. I have partially insulated the van as well.

We've some pretty humid days here, but not quite like you guys in the UK. Lately we've been in a drought, with weeks of pretty much 0% chance of rain, though. But I normally keep a 110v dehumidifier around my gear when in storage. There are times when I've put it in the van with a cord, overnight. +1 on the desiccant idea. Those look reusable too.

Running the AC, even with the heat on, dries out the air in the van a lot, and can work like a dehumidifier while you drive home.  If rugs etc are really soaked I take them out at home, but I rarely need to.  Most of the electronics are stored in pelicans and only stay in the van when being used the next day.