Izotope RX6, De-rustle and Dialogue Isolate

chrismedr

I went from RX4 to RX5 to get the free upgrade to six.  I've been playing with it a bit on some of my field recordings and it works pretty well.  As with any of these types of tools, less is more.  You can over do it and get a duller sound, or worse yet have artifacts that are noticeable.  I always monitor with headphones (Sennheiser HD280s) to make sure I'm not doing too much.  I tried dialogue isolate on a track that had some ticking air handling noise along with the usual fan noise.  First I tried dialogue isolate and it brought down the fan noise really well, but the ticking was still audible but reduced somewhat.  So then I used the new dialogue denoiser first and got most of the fan noise but the ticking remained.  I followed with dialogue isolate and got the majority of the ticking noise out.  Without the fan noise it became apparent that the female subject could use some de essing, so I put that in the chain.  I started with a preset but found it too aggressive.  With a little tweaking I was able to get it sounding natural.  The last thing I put in line was the deverb which I've never been able to get to work well.  My goal was to reduce the slight roominess I was hearing on the boom track.   For once I was able to find a setting that worked pretty well.     

• 6 months later...

Just made the switch from 5 to 6 for a feature that has quite a bit of wave noise (shot at a windy beach) hovering around 4-6dB below the dialogue, and have a soft spoken actress, so it was time to get every advantage.  I have been very impressed so far.  The dialogue de-noiser is outstanding.  One or two passes has reduced the waves by about 70% without degrading the vocals, impressive with a quiet breathy actress. De-clip seems about the same as it used to be, which is to say very good. In a few other exterior scenes a combination of the denoise and de-hum pulled out ALL of an industrial sized AC and a fountain going in the background keeping dialogue sounding natural.

I don't believe in getting caught up in the 'upgrade game' getting the latest release of everything immediately when it comes out, but this is an essential upgrade for any post workflow, on several projects already it's saved me time and saved directors from calling ADR session , which keeps everyone happy.