SD 633 MP3 recording Sounds lousy

TommygunZA

Gosh, hot topic! I've not checked in for a while and see some interest here. Ticket still open, I sent them some of my audio a couple of days ago and am awaiting a reply which I will feed back on. I did get the standard, what media are you recording onto (sandisk Ultra 80MB/s 16GB cards) reboot, reset and update. 

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time testing and having a listen. Its always good to know its not just you!

Herewith the response from Sound devices. Its fine, I kinda expected a bit more  maybe. Oh well...maybe they should have just included a 32Kbps option and been done with it.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your e-mail and report.  

Our mp3 codec is really only intended for proxy recording (For example: transcription),  and thus may not quite be at the quality standard of apps or devices whose main purpose is encoding/decoding.  Your master file as you probably already know would the recorded WAV file, not the mp3.

If you want to use it for music purposes, you should use higher sampling rates.   As always, thank you for your constructive feedback.  

Best Regards,

Nelson Lugo