Noisy R1a?

simmiz

Hello fellow soundies,

I just bought lectrosonics R1a's and I find them very noisy, hissy. Has anyone encountered this issue? Mine are pretty new and the three of them has the exact same noise. Has anyone encountered this?
Thanks !

Hello fellow soundies,
I just bought lectrosonics R1a's and I find them very noisy, hissy. Has anyone encountered this issue? Mine are pretty new and the three of them has the exact same noise. Has anyone encountered this?
Thanks !

I have to admit that I've tried multiple sets and they all have a ridiculous noise floor. Kind of surprising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have to admit that I've tried multiple sets and they all have a ridiculous noise floor. Kind of surprising.

One mixer I know uses a 411 with a headphone amp. Very bulky but sounds incredible.

How high is the volume turned up? They do have some noise. Much more than an ordinary receiver, of course. Make sure the level on the transmitter is set high and the receivers are set low.

Yeah, I guess make sure the transmitter is in IFB mode but I'm not sure what that does exactly.

I hate the high noise floor of the R1A. If you're working as a boom or utility and need to have it in your ear all day it is tiring. 

I always find the peaks or sudden sharp loud sounds to be extra piercing through the R1a. Limiter circuit would be great. 

To to be honest I don't notice a huge sound quality difference between wide channel Comteks and the R1a. 

21 hours ago, BAB414 said:

I was surprised at first too, but a system over a decade old is going to be noisy. That's why im begrudgingly with sennheiser iem's.  

But after listening to the pristine Lectro duet iems, it's obvious they have the means to upgrade their ifbs.   Maybe it's simply a matter of a lack of consumer motivation?

• 2 years later...

I'm very glad I found this thread. I was very surprised by the noise floor of the R1a, even when just barely clicked on and volume all the way down.  Considering they're what, $650 each new? Saved me hours of additional tinkering trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Thank you!

Hi All,

Thank you for the input on this R1a issue. I have 2 systems 1 Public BL 24 no issues all clean. My private BL 22 for my boom ops high peach noise all through out.

I took the system to Lectrosonics Toronto, and yes the issue is in the R1a, waiting for a fix from Joe ?!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Can anyone share details on what specific resistor value and configuration has worked for them in reducing the hiss? I’ve tried several values just in series and as an L pad but it just lowers the overall volume so that when I adjust the level back up it also brings up the hiss and the net noise floor remains the same. 

On 1/12/2020 at 8:19 AM, Derek H said:

I’m now working on a show using brand new 941 band R1a’s receiving from a 941 T4. No noise floor issues at all. Not sure what’s changed. Maybe gain structure at the transmitter. Maybe something different about newer R1a units?

Yep.

LarryF