Control surface vs mixer

nevo

Just so everyone knows, my "tease" was a high-five to digital; I remember the days of double 24-track 2" analog with 14" reels that we would over-lap as to not miss a note of large rock concerts.

My 24-track rig is for recording music; it's not small and doesn't fit on a cart :)

Grace Dante preamps, JoeCo recorders, Lynx Dante converters for True P8 preamps.  Up to 24-tracks (actually could do 32 with a submix of some sort) at 96k with the control room and the stage/studio connected by one piece of Cat5e.  With an in-line switch, 200m apart is possible and with fiber, up top 10 kilometers!  Network cameras on the stage, talk-backs, playbacks, cue-sends, etc.  Lots of SKB racks stacked up to the sky.

Used it to record a choral CD that comes out in November.  More complicated than my usual rig; a SD788T and two, maybe 4, mics. Sometimes simpler is better.

D.

I'm intrigued to know how the track counts are getting up into the 12 track mark especially in the TVC world.

I'm mainly doing commercials and mostly use my 633 with the 664 as backup.... I very rarely need any more than 6 tracks.Even with the quite decent budget 2-3 cam US drama I've spent the last month on I didn't go over 8....

This is relevant to the topic as the mixer I'm looking at is 8 channel and the surface is 12

Cheers

Not sure how it happened in commercials, guessing it is agency creatives and director's not being sure what they want and being afraid to commit to a plan. Samsung commercials come to mind for me, that is where the track counts went nutz. They would want us to wire the world. 15 to 18 people who may or may not talk. What my guys did was a new mixer for every 7 people wired. Other guys did the same thing. I saw some pix of a 4 mixer and I think 4 boom sound crew doing a Samsung commercial on the Paramount on the backlot. Money didn't seem to matter to them. On any given day we wire and boom 3 to 6 people. Last Friday we wired 10 plus the boom.   I guess because we can, we do. It's like 30 of my 40 years we shot 1 camera 99% of the time. These days 2 to 4 cams are not unusual. It's a odd way to work IMO, but it is the way of today.

CrewC

Yep.... too much choice these days in the digital world.... when we were shooting 35mm film
Scenes were heavily rehearsed for camera moves.... Which was a great help for the boomThese days we shoot the rehearsal and I rely a lot on the wires,Add in 2 or 3 Cameras wide an tight
Makes for fun times ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk