Deva Fusion Software v7.57T, Software Updates and Timecode

Manel

Hi, all. 

After starting a new show I have been getting feedback from post that the TC is not being consistent. I have put lockit box and tentacle synch on the cameras and that seemed to fix the problem. I had a look at the software update page in Zaxcom just to make sure I was running the up to date software and I saw that I had v7.57t and the latest was 7.56

I updated the software to the recommended version and now it seems to be worse than before with TC being more of an issue than before. 

I have searched for the 7.57t version and I couldn't see it anywhere. I'm pretty sure it was that version.... 

I'm jamming the boxes more often and hopefully that will do the trick. 

Thanks everyone. 

7.57 was removed at some point because was non affordable, if I'm not wrong. So, the recommended version still remains 7.56

Many things should have been improved on Deva/Fusion firmware but unfortunately this will never happen.

3 hours ago, efksound said:

+1
Another piece of hardware abandoned by Zaxcom....

Yet the Deva 4, 5, 5.8, & 16 series still performs beautifully and, IMHO, they remain one of the best cart recorders available -- now at bargain prices on the used market.

This series has been around a long time now, and even though I too would love some minor firmware updates, these machines boast some awesome features and functions that no other currently available recorder on the planet does -- at any price!

Word is that the soon to be released Deva 24 will take these and other features to a whole new level. 

And even in the world of those tantalizing new attractions, I expect my current Deva to still perform its cutting edge functions well into the future.

3 hours ago, efksound said:

+1

Another piece of hardware abandoned by Zaxcom....

Abandoned? There are still lots and lots of Deva recorders working perfectly every day on jobs all over the world and it is at least a 10 year old machine (I don't remember exactly when the Deva 4 came out). Why doesn't anyone talk about Sound Devices abandoning the 788, or the 744, or the 442 mixer? Has Lectrosonics abandoned the 195 line? Has Andy Cooper abandoned the Cooper Mixer? Well, of course, Cooper is not even in business anymore, does that mean this wonderful 25 year old mixer is no longer viable? 

IMHO, it is more "incomplete" than abandoned. It is a wonderful machine and I'm using my Fusion12 for years now, but it has several bugs that never came to a solution. Just to make an example, we have a "wireless" button that never had a function.

The Deva 4 was released over 12 years ago. Many recording needs, (real or perceived) have changed since then. Not to mention workflows and post requirements since that time. Aside from the 788, I have and still use on occasion all the gear JW listed.  It is all still well made useful gear IMO. The best thing about these times is the many choices we have to do our gigs.

CrewC

Abandoned?Why doesn't anyone talk about Sound Devices abandoning the 788, or the 744,

Incidentally, there was a thread here when Sound Devices announced the end of production of the 744. They still make the 788, so talk about it being abandoned would be a bit weird.

I suppose "Abandoned" has somewhat negative connotations. They simply stopped producing it and developing new firmware for it. But I'm sure they still service it.
So it's not been abandoned.

Thank you, Constantin, I agree with you that my analogy was not perfect --- it was not proper to compare items which are no longer manufactured to items which are still being manufactured today. I think I was just reacting to the comment "Another piece of hardware abandoned by Zaxcom..." --- your comment that Zaxcom has stopped production on the old Deva (and also lots of other items just like lots of other companies) is probably the more appropriate comment.

I think "abandoned" is when the manufacturer no longer "services" the particular product. Service includes repair, manuals, and general support. Just not making it any more is not abandonment. I've always thought a company should service the product until they are forced, kicking and screaming, to give it up. That can be due to parts that, after many years, are no longer being made or parts that have become so expensive that it is not worth it to the customer to pay for a repair. Or the one technician that can fix the unit is 92 years old and has gotten very cranky.

I have personally spoken to a large user that couldn't get multiple products serviced (factory checkup) after 5 years. I think that is a poor business choice.  

As an example of the difficulties of long term support,  the 195 series is still being 95% supported as well as the ancient 185 series. Why 95%? Because the last American crystal manufacturer that would make special frequency crystals for those units has gone out of business. If it's not a broken crystal or a frequency shift required by the FCC auction, you are probably covered. If it be the case, we and you are up Paddle Creek.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher

And SD has repeatedly said that while they aren't updating the 744 they still support and service it.   Aren't there people in LA who service Devas?  There are so many still working, esp in LA.   There is a big diff in my mind between "abandoned" and "not being updated but is still serviced".  These old SD and Zax recorders are in the latter category.  An HHB or Fostex DAT machine (for instance) is in the former.

"These old SD and Zax recorders are in the latter category.  An HHB or Fostex DAT machine (for instance) is in the former." Exactly, well said Philip. 

Of course the older SD and Zaxcom recorders are still being serviced, so it is not "Another piece of hardware abandoned by Zaxcom...." that was my only point. As Larry Fisher points out, there are times when it just isn't possible to continue to service and support older products when certain parts are not even being manufactured anymore by anyone. Regarding DAT machines, this is a case where hardware has been abandoned because the FORMAT itself has been essentially abandoned.

And the DAT format was abandoned at least partially because it was discovered that the transports did not hold up like the analog recorders they replaced or the file-based recorders that replaced them--no matter who made the rest of the machine!   Older or much-used DAT machines were disasters waiting to happen....      As much as I used them, I now view DAT as kind of a scam.    My 744s (and many folks' Devas) work as well today as they did when they were new.

• 1 month later...

Wow this thread has gone le long way around!! 

I have no complaints with my Fusion. I'm actually thinking in buying another one second hand as the Deva 24 is going to be out of my reach (3 little kids will do this to you) and I can get the extra tracks I need for a fraction of the cost. 

If only I could connect a fully functioning oasis to it... Who knows, I might land a sweet job and go mad and buy the 24... possibilities are endless! (dream on dream on...that ever dangling freelance carrot...)