Need Small Phantom Power Thing (Thing?)

OmahaAudio

Check from Mozegear, Mini Papi and Papi Lite

If you were prepared to spend about $540 for the Papi, you might as well spend $530 for the Sennheiser SKP300 and get everything in one package.

You could then also sell your SKP100.

Or you get the Ambient UMPii for about half that price, but then you can't sell your SKP100, and have more clutter to deal with

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

If you were prepared to spend about $540 for the Papi, you might as well spend $530 for the Sennheiser SKP300 and get everything in one package.

You could then also sell your SKP100.

Or you get the Ambient UMPii for about half that price, but then you can't sell your SKP100, and have more clutter to deal with

Didn't know about SKP300. Thanks Constantin!

Sorry for the blurry pic. Little something on the way from Mozegear.. Arrived at lunch Friday and thanks to a last minute change with the B-Cam got to try this phantom unit out as a plant...Worked great with zero coloration of the sound.. Not sure when it will arrive to market..Will easily velcro with SMQV..

487202B4-9F69-44BC-B5EB-C5059604607B.jpg

I believe there are several companies that make very compact 48v phantom power supplies (people have mentioned one from Ambient that is supposed to be very small). It is not difficult, electrically, to make a small phantom power supply, but it makes a lot more sense to have a very small one piece unit that is a transmitter with a mic preamp that supplies phantom power, all from one battery. If this is all to go on the end of a fishpole, the goal, I imagine, is to have as few items as possible riding up there by the mic. I have seen pictures of the mic end of the fishpole with a transmitter, an external mic preamp and a phantom power supply --- that's a lot of gack to go on the mic end of the pole. The Zaxcom ZMT-Phantom manages to get everything in one incredibly small lightweight box. As for manufacturing a standalone phantom power supply, I don't think you will find any interest from Zaxcom or Lectrosonics (both companies have a nice small box) since it probably isn't much of a viable product. I suppose that Lectrosonics might do one, SSM sized, since the SSM does not have phantom power on its own. This would mean only 2 boxes on the mic end of the fishpole. It would be a better move for Lectro to put phantom power in the SSM but that would still leave you a bit short on the amazing feature set of the ZMT-Phantom transmitter.

Why not transmitter?

Because it would be kinda daft to ask Zaxcom for a product which they already make.
(people have mentioned one from Ambient that is supposed to be very small).

Unfortunately, it's not very small at all. It's just smaller than many other options mentioned here.

Don't know how to quote Jeff, but I agree. The last sentence of Jeff's post says it all for us Lectro invested people.

Gordon, Larry and Karl - are you booking this? Thanks Jeff for keeping this open for both camps. We are not at odds, just keeping up with the technology. What works, works in our circumstances. Feel the love. 

Best regards,

Jim Rillie

Production Sound Mixer

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Unfortunately, it's not very small at all. It's just smaller than many other options mentioned here.

Thans for the clarification, Constantin. When you said small I thought you meant really small. The biggest problem, I believe, is that there isn't a company that really wants to produce this item. Mozegear would be the most logical --- I don't remember how big their little phantom power/preamp box is. I thought they had something smaller than that which is pictured in this thread.

The Papi is cool and has been useful but no internal battery (they say they are working on a version that takes AAs, but more like the size of what was shown).  I used it powered by the bag or by a camera (DTap) it was attached to (ie Alexa Mini), which is sort of why they invented it.
Adding a sep. battery box to it is a little clunky--ok for ad hoc mic creativity on-set but not how you'd go for a planned rig probably.   For a quick p48 supply you can find used Deneckes, which are very rugged, and about the same size as the Moze p48 box.

For reference

Besides the Ambient, Denecke and Mozgear boxes worth mentioning are:

- Areitec used to make the Pico48 (optimised for Zaxcoms beltworn TRX, but likely to works with other brands). Unfortunately its discontinued due to the appearance of the ZMT3Phantom. It is a lighter system especially with the build in mounting concept, but the latter is not designed for plug on style TX, so some sort of tinkering might be necessary.

- Audio Wireless has the "AW P48 Wireless Boom"

- the historic Sennheiser MZA14

- also historic the AKG B18E

Then there are system specific solutions. The smallest/lightest I've came across was an active cable for Schoeps' CCMs to Audio LTD2040 (or 2020?) followed by the "Wurst" for the 2020. Both hardly advertised on the internet.

Wisycom provides the rather small box called PHA48

The phantom power unit is actually 4.6 cubic inches.  However it has a different form factor at 4.2” long and 0.52” thick.  The thinness may make it look larger in the picture.

When evaluating what to use, I know there are other factors too. 1.) budget   2.)Location - European products have easier access and service for Europeans and US products vice versa…

However the parameters for a phantom power unit have been challenging. 1.) cost - smaller units cost more and I’m not sure this product will support a high price  2.) battery life - most want 10-12 hours  3.) Speed & Flexibility - can it be thrown into multiple situations very quickly  

So here are some thoughts on a new form factor…

Boom Belt - We are exploring a boom belt (similar to versa flex’s TX belt). The unit would be placed sideways within a belt that would have additional pouches for a transmitter and IFB. Possible advantages…  1.) The belt would be pretty flush with the body and only stick out about a 1/2” to  3/4”.  It  would also be about 2-3” long and eliminate a large extruding bag.  A thin belt would make running, bending, and sitting easier.  2.) ergonomic design - It is thin so the weight is more evenly distributed which places less stress on the back.

Plant mic - The thinness can also make it easy to hide in some situations like on a sun visor…

Boom Pole - We have a boom pole mount that makes it easy and can securely attach a transmitter.

57 minutes ago, Laurie Webb said:

Boom Belt - We are exploring a boom belt (similar to versa flex’s TX belt).

A beltworn TX while booming is nothing I like to work with.

- Cable handling is annoying

- You have to unplug yourself from the unit whenever you want to put it aside

- Putting a TX to a bag of water (aka the boom op) instead of a 2m high boom does not really increase range

But after all... it depends