Noise on the return cable from FS7

I've searched this forum and haven't seen anything related to this so I hope others can help.

I"ve worked on a couple jobs with FS7's recently where my return from the camera seems to be noisy.  Once it was a clicking noise and another time a hum and now it sounds like time code.  When I plug my headphone directly into the camera, it's clean, no noise.  On all three shoots it's been an onboard monitor that seems to cause the problem.  I haven't heard anything from post. Has anyone else experienced this, and did you do anything to solve the problem?  Would it help to replace my mini return cable?

I appreciate any advice.

Marla

My guess: there is a grounding issue inside the camera.  When you playback files on the camera and listen via its HP jack, is the audio ok?  Like not noisier that when in E to E?  If this is true then your work is done--you can suggest they get their camera fixed (or the monitor or their external PSU or all 3) but the audio is fine.  It's just a drag to listen to on return.  There has been this kind of problem with unbalanced audio returns from video equipment since video became portable--like since the 1970s.  If you want real assurance your audio is good then roll your own recorder.

So funny. I just had this same experience earlier this week for the first time with an FS7. Minor timecode bleed. I was hard-wired to the camera for both audio and timecode from my SD633. Wasn't recorded on the camera's audio track, but annoying in the camera's return, nonetheless. I'd never heard it before on an FS7, but certainly have on other cameras.

I also chalk it up to bad grounding in these lower end cameras and other video devices.

My latest question is why some situations allow audio to be carried over the SDI output on cameras and others don't. I've been doing too many last minute, long-distance video villages lately and always hope for a single cable solution to use the video monitor's speaker. That seems to be happening less and less. Also annoying.

Dave

I've had multicamera situations with identical cameras where some returns were dirty and some were clean.  Usually there is a mixed bag of onboard and director monitors, AC PSUs, focus motors+RX, and wireless video TX in play, slightly diff on each camera, so who the fuck knows where the issue is.  This is one reason why double system audio is where it's at.

Same experience with a wireless hop (old Sennheiser 5000 stuff): Some returns are clean, some dirty. Especially when camera is recording, there is some periodical beep sometimes. I couldn't figure out yet when it appears but think it depends on the model - maybe some FS7's are ok, some not.

Marla, I experienced the same noisey "off tape" sound on different cameras, like FS7, PDW 700, 5D... ) in combination with different sound gear. It´s almost as if you hear the camera working.

On FS7 and PDW 700 I literately hear the REC trigger button and on PDWs the laser/disc running. But the on camera recordings always turn out clean.

I think it´s cheap internal design/shielding of the headphone amps mostly.