TV in movie

So to start off, I'm helping a friend with a short film and I've hit a brick wall. Here's what's going on.

In this film, there is a scene where this couple are watching a movie on the couch and to avoid any legal problems, the director just had another one of his films on the tv. So first off, the audio on his previous project isn't great; and the main issue is that the little tidbits of the movie that you actually see, the characters are clearly yelling. I've asked them if they could recut this scene to show less of the shots where they are yelling but of course they didn't have much else to work with. I've tried muffling the video and making it quieter so it's not so invasive, but nothing seems to work. It's looking like I may have to dub over it and make it less distracting, but with it looking like they are yelling on screen, I don't see a way around it. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make this not super distracting?

Thanks,
SW

I'm sorry, it's hard to explain. I have the sound from the film itself, but they are yelling and it's supposed to be something they are watching on a date. It's more about making the content from the movie less distracting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk