Microdot or Hardwired Connector on DPA

Scott Selman

Hi all - searched and couldn't find much on this.  Have a pair of DPA 4061s w/ Microdot and I'm debating if I should get them changed over to hardwired connectors because I really only use them for one purpose.

Has anyone had issues with the microdot adapters vs have a TA5 or 1/8" directly on the cable?  All of my other 4061's are hardwired for TA5.

Thanks!

I have had too many microdots fail, due to the fact the adapter plus microdot connect forms a very long lever that works against the transmitter, resulting in failure.  So I too just chop them off and go with whatever connector is needed.

M2C

I have a lot of microdot DPAs and I have mixed feelings on them. Most of the time when doing basic narrative work I don't experience any problems with the connectors. If the actor is extremely physical in a scene I can occasionally experience problems and need to tape the cable to the connector. I also do some musical theater on the side and we tape all of our connectors. We experience lots of problems in the theater with connectors coming loose. We have multiple systems so the microdot is nice when we have to switch around packs but otherwise I would have done hardwired connectors. 

It really comes down to how physical the actors are imho.

Just now, Scott Selman said:

These would actually be for a theatrical use - so you are taking about what keeps me up at night :mellow: Thanks!

If they are for theatrical then I would switch them if you don't have a specific need for the microdot. 

I dont - my theatrical world is all Sennheiser, and I bought these tan 4061's as "extras" if I needed in my film kit.  But now I have so many hardwired for my Lectro rigs that I was debating the cost of the adapters vs the hard wiring.  And the ends get chopped off in the AM!

I asked the local DPA rep which mics they get more often in their service department, MicroDot or hardwired. He said it's no difference, both fail about as often.
In practice, the adapter can sometimes loosen creating horrible noise, which I suppose wouldn't be an issue with the hardwired version.

I have had too many microdots fail, due to the fact the adapter plus microdot connect forms a very long lever that works against the transmitter, resulting in failure.  So I too just chop them off and go with whatever connector is needed.
M2C

DPA have got this cable relief bend thing which reduces the length of your lever and also protects the MicroDot from any pull on the cable actually getting to it.

3 hours ago, drpro said:

M2C

Same experience here.
Production company owns 8 DPA 4071, we "lost" 3 in a week.
150€ bill for service (for the three).
Microdot is necessary for them, they have different wireless brands.