Wired vs Wireless Lavs

TommygunZA

When I started sound recording I was frightened of wireless so always hard wired my talent (for sit down or statics). I'm not so scared anymore and convenience, ease and dare I say it, laziness has led me to using wireless. People moving, repositioning, going for toilet breaks etc means wireless  FTW. Production/most people don't seem to care and most people look at you sideways now if you want to hard wire talent. That said, my wired Tram TR-50s are I presume (all things being equal) going to always deliver better quality than wireless Trams. 

What do you people do? Do you ever wire anymore or is it 'old skool'?

Seem like the big quality gate is using a lav. Then the difference between a good wireless system and a wire isn't all that great. I only use a wired lav if there's some WTF interference going on and there's no time (or not enough skill on my part) to resolve that...and that's hardly ever...

But Tommy, are you hearing a difference? Or as Bryan says, a difference the audience will notice?

@Jim, I hear a little difference as I use a relatively cheap ass wireless system (sony with cos11's) and I hear a little compander expander stuff but as you said, they (wired lavs) have saved my life near sector Cell phone panels (where the camera just has to have THAT shot) and other WTFness. On the rare occasions I get to hear my stuff broadcast it (wireless) sounds as good as anything else and certainly not noticeably different in any way from other content. I'm a bit deaf tho, too much loud music ;)

I am using hard wired lavaliers in 80% of times for sit down interviews. Thanks DPA for Microdot. Not just about quality, but I don't want to "cut" someone when crying or being emotional - "Sorry we have an RF interference. Can you start from the part X, please"?

To answer the question if the audience will hear the difference: No. Can the audience can see the difference between a tungsten frensel light vs LED light (like ARRI Skypanel)? No. Can the audience can hear the difference between a Rode NTG-3 and Schoeps CMIT? No. So, the real question about what and what not the audience can hear; must be related to background noise.

I am using hard wired lavaliers in 80% of times for sit down interviews. Thanks DPA for Microdot. Not just about quality, but I don't want to "cut" someone when crying or being emotional - "Sorry we have an RF interference. Can you start from the part X, please"?

So what happens if during that emotional moment they want get up to get a tissue, or some photos or whatever? Or maybe the toilet? I don't want to have to say to them "no, wait let me just quickly untangle you"...

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

So what happens if during that emotional moment they want get up to get a tissue, or some photos or whatever? Or maybe the toilet? I don't want to have to say to them "no, wait let me just quickly untangle you"...

That's when director comes in.
- Close up / extra take for photos and of course a cut to go the person in toilet. General, when someone goes to toilet; I am putting off the mic and transmitter or adapter. No big deal. I don't have work with a director which not make extra takes for photos or not cutting for toilet or tissue or something else. 

Few months now, I am doing a lot of sit down interviews. Thanks to my intern days when I was in live television, where everything was hard wired and no wireless. 

Using wireless lavs the dynamic range is more controlled by the compressor/limiter in good

radio systems like Lectro etc.

Directly wired lavs give a wide dynamic range  signal that requires careful attention to the

control of levels when  being recorded.

It's quite a surprising difference, try it!

mike

5 hours ago, Freeheel said:

Ironically, hardwiring my cos 11's with an Ambient Eumel gives a more hissy result than my Lectrosonics 411's with "Normal" noise reduction in play.  

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

I would said it "typical". Different impedance.