SONOSAX SX-R4+ control

JAX

Looks nice, but I don't know how often it would get used in that config (on top of the recorder), so you could probably make the fader surface a different width and depth if it worked better.....  (Like the fader surface would prob be used sitting in front of the other 2 pieces, to keep the meters and knobs in clear view?)

So I'll second the idea that it definitely needs to be bigger than the prototype that is being pictured. I need to be able to comfortably mix on it, and for someone with big hands, the prototype I tried out at the Pro Sound booth at NAB or AES (can't remember which one) a year or two ago was not comfortable to mix in.

Aside from that, a few functions that I think are important for our line of work:

- Transport controls

- Independent slate and com controls

- Infinity trim encoders

- Metadata input shortcuts

- Headphone jack and encoder a plus

- User assignable buttons a plus

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of other things. I'll report back when I do.

I actually LIKE the size--carts are being downsized in general these days for all but the biggest shows, and being able to use the thing in a car etc would be cool.  It's an interesting choice--whether or not to duplicate controls that are on the recorder itself or not.  I'd sort of vote for not, but I WOULD like it to incorporate a keyboard for data entry.  I would really like to have ONE add-on to the recorder, not 2.....

Nope.  I want a keyboard that is smaller than an ipad and is a keyboard, like with buttons, not a piece of (fragile) glass, doesn't need separate power and is incorporated into the fader surface.  I don't understand why these two now-essential items for production sound have to stay 2 separate objects--it is always awkward to mount them both near each other.

Hello Jacques,

All the features of SX-ST mixer, plus:

- Adjustable LED brightness
- Power via R4+ or external battery (Hirose connector)
- 12 physical faders, 100mm
- Record / Play / Stop / >> << physical buttons
- Metadata button
- Timecode button
- Flat surface, not with a little angle like CL-12 from Sound Devices and Oasis from Zaxcom
- Matte finish
- Slim design in terms of height (like prototype)
- No rubber buttons (like SD 788 buttons)
- Water and dust resistant
- Lightweight
- Does the Ethernet connector make sense? Really, I don't know.
- Headphone jack with volume rotary fader

I think it's time to stop. Haha

Based on the design of the R4+ user interface, all the buttons would be programmable with short and long presses to pull up most of the features of the recorder. A few more user assignable ones not assigned to tracks would be useful, though.  If EQ were to be an option, some (infinite) assignable knobs for that would be useful.  Being able to use the RC8+ knobs for digital gain could also be a useful feature if used with this (although would usually adjust at the transmitter)

Duplicate headphone/menu knob and rec/playback switch (instead of dedicated transport controls).

Same headphone/slate setup as RC8+ - Currently to do a private line there's a bit of a workaround.  The Boom op feed is sent a prefade iso track- this needs to be faded down to be sent to the boom op only and up to be used as slate mic (in the mix). A separate 'slate 1' to AES7 and 'slate 2' to AES8 would get round this, although you'd still lose a track for comms (as you may need to communicate with boom ops during a take) 

Way of mounting a tablet computer as meterbridge/touchscreen interface with hardwire ethernet to USB? (See Roland M200i)
I like Philip's keyboard idea- even just a slide out mount underneath could work with an existing keyboard

Edited by Richard Thomas
Additional headphone info

• 1 month later...

I really miss a control surface. Please develop as soon as possible. I think with 14 faders 120mm long, transport, solo,EQ(filters) would be enought.

I miss a keybord to write notes etc.

There is another issue, the file tag should be the scen, shot, and take, because editors when open the  file see: sx 001, instead of scen....