removal of discussion

Jeff Wexler

I have removed all of the posts regarding the need for a "sound consultant" posted here. I do not believe there was any malicious intent with the original post but the subsequent postings by others seemed to get way out of hand with escalating misunderstanding and misrepresentations amongst the participants. I felt the best thing to do was blow it all out, let the dust settle, and then if the topic is brought up again we'll see how it all plays out.

Thank you for your understanding

Sinceely,  your host, Jeff Wexler

Eric, the thread was started by me.  I posted it seeking an LA based sound consultant for help on a short film that I am producing.  I was going to have someone to break down the script with me and go over potential problems and observe on set. Part mentor/teacher and consultant.  Since it was a 1 to 1.5 day shoot, I was seeking to barter services for anyone interested. I am far from a student and own a lot of production equipment.  The remaining cast and crew are all volunteering.  I was asking for a mixer's advice since my experience is limited. If I offended anyone by asking for bartered help, I apologize.  I have done several projects working for free bringing my 442, schoeps, and lectros because it was a good cause and I had the ability to.  I plan to have our on website our filmmaking techniques and equipment used especially the sound gathering techniques employed.  50% is shot in a bathroom and I have 1/2 day.  I do not have the budget for proper ADR.  Wild tracks/tight shots/tiles on roof (thanks Sergio)/sound blanket the hell out of it and really pray for the best.  

It escalated as Jeff mentioned and I asked Jeff to remove the topic since I was not able to.  I just got off the phone with the poster and we are all cool.  Just a misunderstanding.   Happens all the time, and the other poster is a standup guy.

Joe

Jeff,

I read all of the thread before you removed it.

While I agree that the initial post was not malicious, it seems clear to me that it was provocative.

As someone who is currently producing a radio programme and short film, both on a small budget, I am accutely aware of the fact that demonstrating honesty, respect and transparency are fundamental to credibility.

What troubled me about the post were the references to you, to the opportunity to be on a shoot with "pretty women" (apparently having some connection to shooting in a bathroom) and the attempt to use beer as an enticement. Intended or not, the pitch was cheesey in the extreme, and more importantly, arrogant and disrespectful.  

I wouldn't care except that posts like that cast a shadow over everyone who is trying to produce good work on a limited budget.

As someone who is doing some producing, admittedly on a limited scale, I found it embarrassing, and I am not surprised that the reaction from working sound people was  negative.

If the person who made the original post intends to pursue this further on this site, my view is that he needs to think a whole lot about his attitude.

If you think that this post will just bring the subject back and prolong it (a very real possibility), please feel free to delete it.

While I missed the thread in question and accept that this is JW's website to run as he see's fit, it does to this member seem to smack of censorship.

Eric

You are right Eric, it is censorship but I would not have removed anything were it not by request from the originator of the topic. The thread did in fact get out of control and needed, at the very least, moderation of some sort, and since I am the moderator, that is what I would have done had I not received a request to remove the whole topic.

It appears now from the most recent posts that the parties involved have dealt with this whole thing behind closed doors (in other words, NOT on this Discussion Group) and that is probably a good thing for all of us.

Eric, I hope you understand my approach to this and that it will not diminish your interest and participation here as I always appreciate your input.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I read the original posting resulting in some reservations, especially because there were purported enticements that were meant to 'convince' people that their day and a half would not be entirely boring. i think the first person who replied must have been put off by this very aspect of the posting, before any other specificity to the nature of consulting/offering advice on location/etc...

however, I applied some paraphrasing/reading-between-the-lines/filling-in-the-blanks/re-interpretation, and it was clear to me.

what i saw fit to do was to offer myself to get "JS" to get going with his project - if only he could get me back to NY from where i get back home... i was very sure to mention that I would not be the easiest one to have standing beside a mixing console of any kind and just talk... :)

i think this is the first instance of something that has irked people and at their behest been 'taken off'. in a way, this is good. however, i also feel that this set of communication between two people should also be preserved - not to embarass them or anyone, not to hold as an example of what not to do, but just because we are human and babel is built into us, even if we speak the same language. i don't think either of the people will be reprehensive to this, especially if they have understood and agreed upon actually speaking to each other what they wanted to say and what they meant to say.

-vin

...it does to this member seem to smack of censorship.

When a moderator agrees to delete a series of posts, at the request of the person who made them, and without objection from other participants in the discussion, I don't think that censorship is the right word. Sounds more to me like class.

I do not know Eric T but in all fairness to him, he was not aware at all that I asked Jeff to delete the post.  It was getting out of hand and that is why I called the 1st poster.  We talked and squared everything.  Yes, a lot of assumptions are being throw around here.  I squared it with the 1st poster by talking to him, but it seems like Redge has a problem, assuming the sound community is upset at me for my provocative post. 

When a moderator agrees to delete a series of posts, at the request of the person who made them, and without objection from other participants in the discussion, I don't think that censorship is the right word. Sounds more to me like class.

JW,

It'll take a lot more than a thread removal to make me give up any news group. If I can put up with the wacked out ultra conservatives on a trapshooting newsgroup I can certainly handle this one.

Besides we're both Aries, you know what that means.

Eric