Cooper 106 Mix in and Tuchel connections

Michael P Clark

Mix in/

I am thinking of making "mix in" cables for the 106, and in the manual it says this..

"MIX BUS INPUT:

Left, Right and Auxiliary:                      Current Input:

-6dBu  16k external resistor

PFL: 14dBu 2.4k external resistor

NOTE: Resistor value may be changed to suit different input levels."

I was going to make a the inputs come from the 442 mix output. That being line level, what type of resistor is needed for it?

Does anybody utilize the PFL input? Should I make that accessible since I'm building this cable? Examples of your use of the PFL?

The Tuchel inputs/outputs for the Nagra, are starting to look intriguing as I am recording to multiple devices sometimes. It's unbalanced in the spec sheet. I figure, since I only touched the Nagra's in college, this was only because the Nagra's were unbalanced in on the Tuchel connectors. Seems odd. Is there a way to get balanced out of those connectors, internally? There are plenty of contacts to make it happen.

Also, on the inputs(tape return, for my purposes), goes straight to the same tape return buss that is on the side?

Thanks!

The Tuchel inputs/outputs for the Nagra, are starting to look intriguing as I am recording to multiple devices sometimes.

I regret that I can only provide assurance that what you want to accomplish can be done neatly and enhance the utility of your rig. However, as I don't perform that work myself, I don't know the details.

Not only can the outputs of the tuchels be changed by using different resistors (I think, actually, one just removes the 47K resistors already present) but one can also hook up a link to the outputs normally accessed from the XLR connectors on the side panel. There are ample unused pins on the tuchel connectors that permit this kind of hook-up.

My own rig provides audio to both my main recorder and my back-up recorder through the tuchels. The XLR line outs on the side panel are then available to feed something else. Neil Stone handled the conversion for me and I recall it being simple and inexpensive. But, more's the pity, Neil is no longer available to do that.

Andy Cooper is still available to assist with this kind of thing although he may not be in the office every day. You can contact him at:

Cooper Sound Systems Inc.

1241 Knollwood Drive, PMB 106             

Cambria, CA 93428-3343     

Telephone:  (805) 772 1007

Fax:              (805) 456 1631

Email:    coopersoundsystems@att.net

Also, any shop that routinely works on these boards ought to be able to accomplish what you need.

David Waelder

I was going to make a the inputs come from the 442 mix output.

Oh, did I misunderstand? I was thinking you wanted to feed your recorders from the tuchel outs of the mixer. (A good idea)

But if you just want the wiring diagram for a cable to the bus input on the side panel, that's another matter. I have one made up to feed the Cooper from an SQN; I'll have a look at it and post what I find if someone else doesn't respond first.

David