Zaxcom Deva V or 5

Joe Riggs

Step 1

Create new folder (eg. roll#1)

Step 2

Touch the mirror box on the home screen. That will take you to the 1st mirror screen. At the bottom there will be 2 boxes. You will be able to choose where you want the folder to mirror to, either DVD or Firewire. Push the box until it says Firewire.  The box to the right will turn the power on/off to the Firewire. Push the box until it says ON.

Step 3

On the 1st mirror screen there is a box that says Mirror Mode. Push that. This will take you to a screen where you can choose many things about your mirroring. Push the box that says Folder to Mirror. That will take you to your folder page where you can choose the folder to mirror. push that folder to highlight it. To exit this screen, push the hard Menu button. That should take you back one screen to your Mirror menu. Once you are back into that screen, look at the bottom right-hand box.  That will tell you the status of your mirror drive.

Oh, I forgot to tell you to plug in your FW400 drive and CF card. The Deva is picky on what cards it will work with.  Call them to find out which ones.

Step 4

Once you confirm that the Deva recognizes your CF card (if it doesn't, go back to the screen where you can power on/off the Firewire and turn it off for a few seconds then turn the power back on.) Push the Format button to format the CF card. 

Step 5

Still in the Mirror Mode screen, push the box in the lower left named Mirror Mode.  There are three settings, OFF, On-CONT, and NORMAL. Cycle through until it says NORMAL. In this mode the files will mirror when you hit the stop button AFTER you've recorded something. It's the safest setting to choose from.  My POS Deva will occasionally lock up the hard-drive during a recording if I'm on the ON-CONTINUALLY mirror option. That's bad news, because you will lose the file on the hard-drive after the lock-up took place. Zaxcom said they couldn't replicate it so there's nothing wrong with my machine.  Funny, I can replicate it 90% of the time I've put it in that mode. Whatever.

Step 6

Make sure the Deva is finished mirroring to the CF card before pulling the card out.

Side note:

In the Mirror screen there will be buttons that you can choose what segment # you what to start mirroring from. When you choose a new folder, that starting seg # will automatically reset to #1.  It will then keep track of what segments have already been burned for you. If, on some occasion, you want to go back and burn a file from another folder, you have to choose that seg # with those buttons.

Memories...  as Mirror describes this, I'm wondering how I ever had any time on the set to do the work --- maybe take an earlier pre-call? I would need a good nap after that. Fortunately, my memory is that everything that Mirror has said in the 6 Steps, 2541 characters of this post actually took about 45 seconds to accomplish including fresh formatting a CF card. Thank you, Mirror, for the exceptionally detailed set of instructions!

2 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Operating a Deva is much easier to do than to write about

The very first time I saw the Deva IV/V I was working at Coffey, but it was the first NAB where Zaxcom was showing them, and because at the time we were the only dealers west of the Mississippi that carried Zaxcom, I was helping to work their booth. I literally showed up the morning of the first day, got about a 10 minute demo on the devas from Howy, and then I turned around and was demoing it to others right away. It's super easy to use, there's just a lot to it. As a matter of fact, I don't think I ever read the manual for it. 

I don't think you will find Neo Luddites on this board John B

Neo-Luddite is used to describe those who are considered to be anti-technology, or those who dislike or have a difficult time understanding and using modern science and technology. The word Luddite is a historical political movement term used to describe people who are opposed to technological innovations.

2 hours ago, al mcguire said:
I don't think you will find Neo Luddites on this board John B

Neo-Luddite is used to describe those who are considered to be anti-technology, or those who dislike or have a difficult time understanding and using modern science and technology. The word Luddite is a historical political movement term used to describe people who are opposed to technological innovations.

I think you just confirmed my point for those who require a device so simple that there's no thinking involved.

Thanks everyone, we got it to work! We're just offloading to a FW400 drive, the offloading from the internal HD to the external is still kind of slow but I'll take that over a DVD.

The mixer was very grateful, he thought his FW port was NG and so he had not used it since 2009.

If it wasn't for my persistence and the help of this forum, he would have been turning DVDs for the rest of his career.