best preamps in a small 2 track recorder?

Michael Gassert

As an NYC based mixer, I'm a longtime Nomad 12 user.  But when I'm off shooting my own docs, I want quality preamps/conversion/dsp in a SMALL 2track recorder.  I prefer not plugging my MK41s into an h4n in certain situations.  What are my better options? (priorities being size, pre quality and power consumption on a 2 track recorder that I often operate while I'm shooting).  Thanks for your thoughts. 

I think with SMALL (in uppercase) your best bet is indeed the MixPre-3.

smaller then that, all recorders with XLR phantom inputs I know of compromise in preamp quality. If larger and more expensive is no problem, the Nagra or 702 are great machines.

chris 

How about a PIX240i or PIX E5 with the XLR attachment, great audio recorder, plus also doubles as an on-camera monitor with tools / scopes and if using a pro-sumerish camera, can record a more robust ProRes format.  I have a sort of beat up PIX 240 that I hadn't thought of selling but could, if your interested in going down that route.

I think the Mix Pre 3 would be a good match on all accounts except the power requirements.   The supplied 4 Cell battery sled will only power the unit for a little more than an hour to 2 hours depending on the type of batteries.  The L-mount battery  sled is problematic with mounting a camera or using in a bag.  If your camera outputs Time Code on HDMI it can run the recorder and sync the Time Codes.  If you can use the AC adapter or a block battery to run all day it would be a good fit.

If preamps are your priority, the Nagra 7 would probably win. But with size being your priority, there are other choices. Keep in mind that the Nagra 7 has a host of other attributes and features that are unique to Nagra, and it is also quite small.

nagra7.jpg

2 hours ago, Masaki Hatsui said:

It's kinda old one but Sonosax MINIR82 is still a recorder with one of best preamps and small enough size that you can slide it in a pocket.

It's pricy but maybe you can find one a second hand?

and it will still be pricey - but very nice.