another CS3e convert....

Philip Perkins

Ok--so I'm the last to know, but I had a chance to buy a CS3e for a great price, and went for it.  First day out....it rocked, as the everyone else apparently already knows.  LONG day by myself holding a boom still over a Very Famous Actor (continuing to roll wild between camera takes), overhead grif w/o much headroom, "tunnel of love" side shower curtain and negative fills (outside!), bucolic woods in the frame and a busy highway just out of same--pretty much ideal CS3 conditions.  No way could I have gotten the KMR82 in its zep (let alone my 815) in under the grif (right up against it to clear the shot) and then held it for 30 min @ a shot about 13 feet out on the pole and had it sound that good.  Loving that "no rear lobe" thing.  Where has this mic been all my life?

Philip Perkins

Semi off topic question. Couldn't you have used a c-stand to hold the boom pole?

Eric

I thought of it, but the ground was uneven (in the woods), there was a little wind, and the Very Famous Actor kept moving

around slightly as the shooter reframed.  The actor would also move forward to verify what was on the prompter (didn't want to wear his glasses) and then move back, and I had to make sure I was out of the way when he did it.  I have a lovely Arri stand for just this purpose but it wasn't going to work that day.

Philip Perkins

Working on episodic  in NY with very little control, wide/tight ,HMI ballasts etc. I became an early convert to the Sanken CS3e. I've always noticed a fair amount of self noise in these microphones but recently i find the noise worse or I,ve become more sensitive to it. I'm using the two of them with a Cooper 208 so it isn't the pre's. I'm wondering if it's a function of age and the elements. Anyone else finding this a problem? It's caused me to become very curious about the Scheops tube mike. Thanks for any feedback.  Scott 

Eric

I thought of it, but the ground was uneven (in the woods), there was a little wind, and the Very Famous Actor kept moving

around slightly as the shooter reframed.  The actor would also move forward to verify what was on the prompter (didn't want to wear his glasses) and then move back, and I had to make sure I was out of the way when he did it.  I have a lovely Arri stand for just this purpose but it wasn't going to work that day.

Philip Perkins