Boom Pole Quick Connect

newzhack

On 7/26/2017 at 11:28 PM, Gene Martin said:

The Orca is by far the smallest, but because the innner body and tips are made of steel it's actually heavier than the Sound Guys and the Ambient. In all honesty I'd be amazed if someone could tell the boom was 1oz heavier....

The main difference in all 3 come down to functionality and personal preference. 

Copy that, thanks for the correction. I can't tell a difference in weight, but I had assumed that because it's smaller it was also lighter. I totally agree with your last sentence.

• 1 year later...

Ambient QRT is what I use. 

On 7/27/2017 at 7:56 AM, Derek H said:

after realizing that everyone else in town has Ambient quickloks and the compatibility with other folks is helpful.

I came to same conclusion. 

These look cool, SGS QR. I like the simplified design. However, I feel like if that latch comes open for any reason then its bye bye mic. I will keep an eye out for these in person so I can get my hands on one. 

Honestly not sure why you would want to risk an expensive mic and windscreen with a cheap untested model from b&h at the end of a pole  Spend the money and get what everyone knows will work and has been used on a pole by many. 

Personally I wouldn't trust those cheap models.  Maybe for stationary they are fine but not the other. 

13 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

Honestly not sure why you would want to risk an expensive mic and windscreen with a cheap untested model from b&h at the end of a pole  Spend the money and get what everyone knows will work and has been used on a pole by many. 

Personally I wouldn't trust those cheap models.  Maybe for stationary they are fine but not the other. 

13 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

Equally why trust anything cheaper than the Ambient QRT (which is what I'm planning to get)? Credibly, I don't think the issue with the Gravity QR will be it unlocking itself and dropping the mic on the floor (as is seems to use a similar BB type of lock that wheel chair axles use). My concern, without seeing 1 in person (or hearing another user's experience) would be wobble. As in, it holds a mic suspension but not securely enough to prevent backlash and therefore unusable boom tracks.

18 hours ago, daniel said:

Whilst pointing out to everyone that in my head I have changed the title to "Multichannel Tripod Array Quick Release" just for this reply ...

Cheers Dan for pointing this out to me. If it were 'rattle free' and secure enough as hoped a batch of these fitted to tripods or stands could be an excellent time saver and benefit the management and protection of mics when setting up for FX out in the field - particularly  multichannel arrays for spaced omnis.

Since I only use/build stands with 3/8" threads I'd have to fit them with adapters into the bases, but hopefully all told this could be a great addition to my rigs. Of course, I could use Ambient but that's going to add half a grand to the cost of a simple array! So I'd be curious if anyone has experience in a studio for instance with these. And have a look for a UK supplier.

Jez

6 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Whilst pointing out to everyone that in my head I have changed the title to "Multichannel Tripod Array Quick Release" just for this reply ...

Cheers Dan for pointing this out to me. If it were 'rattle free' and secure enough as hoped a batch of these fitted to tripods or stands could be an excellent time saver and benefit the management and protection of mics when setting up for FX out in the field - particularly  multichannel arrays for spaced omnis.

Since I only use/build stands with 3/8" threads I'd have to fit them with adapters into the bases, but hopefully all told this could be a great addition to my rigs. Of course, I could use Ambient but that's going to add half a grand to the cost of a simple array! So I'd be curious if anyone has experience in a studio for instance with these. And have a look for a UK supplier.

Jez

Thomann.de imports them in Europe I believe.

I would be interested to hear any comments about them. Seem like a cheap solution for specific, and/or secondary uses.

Here (Europe) the Ambient system is quite common, but I would like to try the SG solution. It seems more straight forward to me, but noone owns it that I know of!

53 minutes ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Ambient_Recording_QAT_ECO_QAT_ECO_XLR_Connector_Holder_1423072216000_817593.jpg

Make sure to get one of these. They look incredible and clean. I really like mine. 

I'll leave the debate as to which is better, the Rycote or the Ambient XLR holder for another thread. 

Obviously it is not a debate for you!

On 8/21/2018 at 5:01 PM, Glen Deakin said:

I have both types of XLR holders and prefer the Ambient.  I think Rycote has a newer version than mine but the Ambient ones are elegant in their simplicity and work especially well with Neutrik XLRs.

Also, if you're considering quick releases take a look at the Sound Guys Solutions ones.  I'm rather deeply invested in the Ambient QRs, but Gene at SGS designs his stuff really well, so they're worth checking out.

I‘ve ordered the Gravity some month ago just to check them out. They are quite heavy, have some play left and build quality was kind of cheap. The thread was damaged and I needed to use a nut to cut through it. Hope that explanation makes sense ...

Thought I use it for antennas or monitors etc but for the sake of continuity I use QL only still

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

What about this one? Seems like a good design, lighter and more straightforward than the Ambient.

From what I see in the video, that mechanism could be opened by accident. Simply pushing it against an obstacle would release the slide. It seems to be similar to the Ambient QRT but without twist locking and being powder coated purple. 

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

lighter and more straightforward than the Ambient.

One could machine the ambient QRT down further and make it a few ounces lighter.

44 minutes ago, Dalton Patterson said:

From what I see in the video, that mechanism could be opened by accident. Simply pushing it against an obstacle would release the slide. It seems to be similar to the Ambient QRT but without twist locking and being powder coated purple. 

One could machine the ambient QRT down further and make it a few ounces lighter.

I think the announced weight is 53g here and the Ambient one is at least double that.

I wouldn't give it 1 out 500.000, but it still is a possibility, on the other hand, I had some hard time with over used Ambient releases in the past.

It says that is extensively tested in Germany, it could be a collaboration, or not.

Rycote gives their products/designs to everyone (Beyerdynamics, Rode, Sennheiser, even Deity!), why not the oppossite?

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

had some hard time with over used Ambient releases in the past

“Used” is what I took from this. Needs to be replaced/maintenanced if not functioning properly. 

I take issue with poorly cared for equipment. 

I cannot speak to ambient not sharing sharing their intellectual property. I don’t tend to share mine either. 

15 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Perhaps Rycote had an opportunity to improve on the design (of the QRT) with the help of TimoK (formerly of Ambient) - i suggest this in a purely speculative, 2 + 2 = 5, type of way.

Out of curiosity: Has anyone reading, had a mic rig (or a red herring : ) fall off a quick release boom device?

According to the Rycote page the Boom Connect has various options for the mic rig side of the connector which look like they would reduce weight and profile depending on what you choose.

19 hours ago, daniel said:

Perhaps Rycote had an opportunity to improve on the design (of the QRT) with the help of TimoK (formerly of Ambient) - i suggest this in a purely speculative, 2 + 2 = 5, type of way.

I was shown the PCS at Rycote HQ in Stroud some years ago, a long time before Timo joined the company. It has been a long project and gone through several development generations before this release version. I am a long time Ambient QL (20 year) user but this is a lighter quick release and the big difference is the longitudinal release rather than the twist. Now that Rycote are associated with Sachtler, Manfrotto and Wooden Camera, I expect to see this piece of Rycote engineering appearing under different brands, for very different uses. 

Hi All,

We really thoroughly tested it in Germany...

I'm still based in Hamburg, and we used the facilities here and a big workshop in Berlin to test everything way beyond its capabilities and continuously improved it until we were happy with the results. One example is that we increased the connection strengths to ten times what was specified when I took over the project.

Basically the only thing we left untouched is the mechanism itself. The rest was flipped upside down and modified to a degree that it looks like a completely new product. However, it's still based around the clever mechanism Rycote developed about 3 years ago. I don't want to hijack this thread to advertise our product, however some jigs and machines we used are shown in the IPS video below. If you have any questions, please pm me.

Cheers,

Timo

@TimoK thanks for the insight.

I noticed you have 2 specialized adapters (1 for Cyclone and 1 for classic designs).

I have 2 questions, and one request,

1) are those mandatory, or the tips are just fine?

2) is the adapter compatible with the super shield?

Can we have a chart/table with all the basic Rycote solutions and the plus/minuses of each?

Cheers. Pan.

The tests Rycote have done seem convincing, so I'm interested in the PCS. I looked at the product at an online vendor I use, but it looks like only one tip is included with the boom connector. I like the price I'm seeing, but I'd be happy to pay a bit more if another threaded tip were to be included with the connector. The whole point is to be able to switch between mic assemblies quickly, right? Wouldn't it make sense to sell two tips with the connector?

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@TimoK thanks for the insight.

I noticed you have 2 specialized adapters (1 for Cyclone and 1 for classic designs).

I have 2 questions, and one request,

1) are those mandatory, or the tips are just fine?

2) is the adapter compatible with the super shield?

Can we have a chart/table with all the basic Rycote solutions and the plus/minuses of each?

Cheers. Pan.

Hi Pan,

1) the PCS-Boom comes with one generic 3/8" tip and you can use it with whatever you like.
The Classic, and Cyclone Adaptor were made based on feedback we got from the sports broadcasting industry. They still didn't use any quick connection system even though their workflow would strongly benefit from it. One of their main reason was that they were scared of the amount of replacement spigots they would have to buy after every season, as the windshields are thrown around by non-sound people during setup and teardown. Therefore, they were asking for a more integrated solution.
While designing it, we also took the chance to reduce lengths, and weight, and to design a new / better XLR holder.
However, our boom pole beta testers really embraced the idea but for a very different reason. According to them, no matter how strongly you tighten any 3/8" thread, it still happens that you accidentally loosen the connection with fast mic rotations, and heavy or long mics.

2) Yes, the Modular adaptor is retrofittable on all Modular generations, Pre-Modular, Supershields, Super-Blimp kit, Perfect For basket windshields, Classic-Softie Kits

That's a really good idea about the chart. Let me check whether we have a document like this already.

Cheers,

Timo

2 hours ago, Ilari Sivil said:

The tests Rycote have done seem convincing, so I'm interested in the PCS. I looked at the product at an online vendor I use, but it looks like only one tip is included with the boom connector. I like the price I'm seeing, but I'd be happy to pay a bit more if another threaded tip were to be included with the connector. The whole point is to be able to switch between mic assemblies quickly, right? Wouldn't it make sense to sell two tips with the connector?

Yes, some kits with extra tips would be nice. Perhaps offer the various wind shields with a PCS option.