NEW: Zoom LiveTrak L-12

VASI

The list of functions, features and capabilities of this single unit is truly mind boggling! I would love to have someone get their hands on one of these and put it through the paces, treating it like it is possibly a piece of professional gear. Could be very interesting. It looks like Trew Audio will be selling these --- maybe they have already done some preliminary evaluation. By the way, price: $599.00!

19 minutes ago, Jeff Wexler said:

The list of functions, features and capabilities of this single unit is truly mind boggling! I would love to have someone get their hands on one of these and put it through the paces, treating it like it is possibly a piece of professional gear. Could be very interesting. It looks like Trew Audio will be selling these --- maybe they have already done some preliminary evaluation. By the way, price: $599.00!

That is a lot for $599. I'd be especially interested to hear how folks get on with the faders (which seem a bit short). It would be great if it can used as a usb interface and recorder at the same time (like SD-mixpre series). Having seen and enjoyed the photos of the JonG's Neve in-a-case i'd like to have a go at making something similar with this device. Something like mixer 1 side of the case; RX, monitors and power the other side.

15 minutes ago, soundtrane said:

<<At -128 dBu EIN with +60 dB maximum input gain, LiveTrak is equipped with the quietest and most advanced preamps we’ve ever made. Just wait until you hear how incredible it sounds.>>

Numbers matter?

Yes true I saw that +60 dB max gain and thought that's low, are they sure about that. With a 633 offering 91dB......

2 hours ago, soundtrane said:

<<At -128 dBu EIN with +60 dB maximum input gain, LiveTrak is equipped with the quietest and most advanced preamps we’ve ever made. Just wait until you hear how incredible it sounds.>>

Numbers matter?

Quietest YOU'VE ever made... But...LOL...

Cool little unit though...

1 hour ago, pindrop said:

Yes true I saw that +60 dB max gain and thought that's low, are they sure about that. With a 633 offering 91dB......

to be fair, the 91dB for the 633 is from input to output. The gain you can apply to your mic input is only 72dB (still a good number). 

Still, that 60dB is not much and it may also be from input to output so the gain at the input might be lower.

Especially considering that the actual range is only from 16dB - 60dB...

i'm looking forward to checking one out.

Regarding the 60dB gain, while that's low compared to the preamps on some other, more expensive mixers, It's unusual to need more that 60dB gain with the high-output condenser microphones we normally use. Plus, the fact is that most of the preamps we use these days are are built into the wireless transmitter. At first glance, though, it's hard to seriously imagine this mixer for dialog on a video drama production, if for no other reason than the very short throw faders. But I'm keeping an open mind until I get my hands and ears on one.

One of the other big unknowns for us is whether each input can be recorded PRE-fader and also POST-fader to a mix track. I bought an Alesis Mixer some time ago that proved to be basically useless because you had to use individual faders up on an input to record that input anywhere --- there was no way to access the input pre-fader.

6 hours ago, daniel said:

It would be great if it can used as a usb interface and recorder at the same time (like SD-mixpre series).

From the website: 

In Audio Interface mode, the L-12 can record up to 48 kHz to a computer and an SD card simultaneously.

If this had digital inputs I would be all over it. I don't know that I want to rely on Zoom $600 mic ores and converters for critical tracks. 

-Mike

It appears to be designed for garage bands and such. +60dB typical for MI mixers and usually much higher SPL sources than we frequently deal with. (low talking/mumbling actors) Even in a live music performance situation, the lack of outputs to feed mains/monitors would be a problem. For sure, the low price is attractive. I'd like to have a hands on demo with a band no less.

I bet it works very well.  Almost none of these low-cost mixers have any sort of digital input or output of the SPDIF or AES type, no external clocking ability (and with what we could call "MI-market" quality internal clocks), but with the ability to act as a recorder of at least 2 (if not all-inputs) tracks and maybe be a computer audio interface too.  It is interesting to me that they did not go the iPad faders route, or the in-between QSC-style onboard touch screen+ iPad thing either.  But that makes it a little easier to figure out initially I guess.  But w/o motorized faders I am not clear how it can save "scenes"?

On August 3, 2017 at 0:25 PM, pindrop said:

DC12V / 2 A...........:)

This spec is the capacity of the power supply, not the current draw of the mixer/recorder, so the draw of the mixer/recorder would have to be somewhat less. However, with all of the mic inputs and AD/DA converters in this device, even 2A @12V would be impressively low. The good news for production sound (as maybe you were alluding) is that it can be powered with an external 12VDC on a commonly used connector, which seems to have (hopefully) a 2.1mm inside diameter (same as Lectro uses).

Trew Audio has them on order, and Zoom tells use that production deliveries may be a month away.

2 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

But w/o motorized faders I am not clear how it can save "scenes"?

Maybe it's like that old Neve recall system, where you had to move a fader until it said stop (or was there a light? I can't remember), and likewise for all EQ and other settings? 

just read the manual online - the faders are not motorised, as you guessed, it uses the channel meters to show you where to move the fader to - you have to pass through that point for the fader to 'grab' control - very old-school! It's not just for Scenes though - the faders do the 5 monitor sends as well, using the A-E layer buttons, so this is somewhat of an annoyance.

• 3 weeks later...