unplugging p48 Boom mic.

Ian Thomson

I've been told by a microphone distributor here in Australia that unplugging 48v phantom powered microphones before switching the phantom supply off; can cause damage to the microphone.

Whilst it would obviously be ideal to shut off the ph/power switch every time, in practice - it can be tough to get to the power switch in time, and boomers will 'accidentally' how-swap their cable.

how much damage will this do?

do you shut down a channel (turn off it's ph power) before unplugging? or just "fader-down"?

any solutions that people have found? (external switches/boxes etc)

Ian

I'm not concerned with the audible "thump" when a mic is hot-plugged (that's unavoidable), but quite curious about the damage occurring to a mic capsule.

I use Sennheiser MKH50, 60... my boom man plugs and unplugs into his phantom power supply all day without turning it off.  He does it at a bunch of times a day.  So far the mics don't seem to mind a bit.  That's not to say it's a good idea, it's just an observation.  Perhaps the day will soon come where I see the results of thousands of plugs/unplugs into that phantom power supply...

scott

I've been told by a microphone distributor here in Australia that unplugging 48v phantom powered microphones before switching the phantom supply off; can cause damage to the microphone.

It's an old wives' tale.  I wouldn't worry about it.  I've never seen (or even heard of) any actual documented damage done to a microphone from this.  My boom ops have plugged and unplugged dozens of times a day for many years without any perceptible damage to the mics, and I know plenty of other mixers whose operators have done the same without incident. 

It's an old wives' tale.  I wouldn't worry about it.  I've never seen (or even heard of) any actual documented damage done to a microphone from this.

I agree that there is little to no chance of ANY damage to a phantom powered microphone when unplugging it while phantom power is still active. I would like to point out one thing, which does relate to phantom power and potential damage, relates to Schoeps microphones (this may apply to other microphones that have the colette feature of interchangeable capsules). You must never remove the capsule from the body of the mic, like to change to another capsule, insert the CUT-1, etc., while the microphone is still powered up. Always disconnect the microphone before changing the capsule. At the very least, while not technically damage, the removal of the capsule with phantom power applied has been known to cause arcing and deformation of the crucial contact between the capsule and the amp...  so, don't do it!

-  Jeff Wexler

I've really never heard of this being a problem and I think all of us have done this for years. I have heard however that you should not remove the capsule on a microphone like the schoeps with the microphone plugged in and receiving voltage. This can damage the mic. However before we were informed of this we had done that very thing many times. Now I always unplug the mic before changing a capsule. Better safe then sorry.

Actually, this depends on the design of the ribbon. If it employs a transformer, and is there is no grounded center tap, then phantom power won't hurt it. (Due to the fact that there should be no difference in the DC potential across the two signal leads). However, if one of the signal leads accidentally gets grounded, things get a bit ugly...

What should always be avoided is plugging a ribbon or dynamic mike into a T-Power input, which does have a 12 volt potential between the two signal leads. Not something that most transformers like to see on the secondary winding....

--Scott

Mine would all be dead if this was true, but that is just my experience, I could be wrong. I know you can kill a ribbon mic by feeding it 48v power, not that most of us use these for production work.

CrewC