iPhone Slate

Michael P Clark

dont know if anyone has mentioned the islate here

http://www.apptism.com/apps/islate

which seems (at first glance) similar. would be nice if there was some way to get timecode in to the iphone so the timecode display was more than a neat gimmick. but i wonder how accurate the clock on the phone is compared to a lockit

I am using this one but it really doesn't do anything for me. Until you can feed it timecode they aren't doing anything for sync sound.

It can still be very useful, even though it cannot take external timecode.

For example, you can set your recorder's timecode to match, easily within one second. Once this has been set, the offset can be noted during transfer, which should hold for at least a few hours. Also, all iPhones should automatically be in sync everywhere within a region, which saves a lot of jamming when multiple slates are used.

Glen Trew

It can still be very useful, even though it cannot take external timecode.

For example, you can set your recorder's timecode to match, easily within one second.

Glen Trew

You are so right that it can be very useful ... not a substitute for a proper timecode slate, Lockit boxes and so forth, but very useful in those situations where the alternative might be NO slate. This reminds me of a 21st century version of a rudimentary sync system I used on a concert movie in 1980 something. We had several handheld watches, actually I believe they were stopwatches, with numeric readout --- we set several of them as close as we could to the time of day and then each camera "shot the clock" as best they could. Far from a perfect system but it did expedite a somewhat smoother workflow in editorial.

-  Jeff Wexler

I'm not a trademark attorney (though I've hired a few in my day), but I think Charlie's got a possible case of "look and feel" infringement if you wanted to go after those guys. I think it's a little too close to the bona fide Denecke slate.

The iPhone slate is amusing, but no way can it take the place of the real thing. It's fine as a dumb slate with no TC, though, and even that can work just fine in a pinch.

--Marc W.

I did a LOT of concerts here in the UK in the 80s. On my very early ones we used to take a feed of the TC from the multitrack truck, and then point a video camera at a TC reader. We would then distribute the video signal to loads of TV sets, carefully placed such that the cameras could take a peep at the TV (the TC) at the start of each roll. Somehow it generally worked, and not a moment too soon Denecke invented TC slates.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

You are so right that it can be very useful ... not a substitute for a proper timecode slate, Lockit boxes and so forth, but very useful in those situations where the alternative might be NO slate. This reminds me of a 21st century version of a rudimentary sync system I used on a concert movie in 1980 something. We had several handheld watches, actually I believe they were stopwatches, with numeric readout --- we set several of them as close as we could to the time of day and then each camera "shot the clock" as best they could. Far from a perfect system but it did expedite a somewhat smoother workflow in editorial.

-  Jeff Wexler