RIP - Ed Greene

Jeff Wexler

I was waiting to try and gather my own personal feelings, I am very saddened by Ed's passing, not really able to express --- I have posted some comments from others (available already from Facebook to the Hollywood Reporter and many other sources.

Los Angeles, CA, 11 August 2017--- CAS Board Member and previous CAS Career Achievement Recipient Ed Greene passed away on 9 August 2017 surrounded by family.

Greene also previously served as a Governor of the Sound Branch of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
“The Sound community has lost an icon,” said CAS President Mark Ulano. “And the CAS Board has lost the voice of someone who held a vast knowledge of the history and evolution of live sound recording. Ed was a mentor to many of today’s sound mixers and he will be greatly missed. Our heartfelt condolences are with his family.”

Ed Greene.2.jpg

Over the course of his career Ed won 22 Emmy Awards and was nominated 61 times. He mixed some of the most highly regarded music, variety and award shows. He also won the CAS Award in 2003 for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Mixing for Television - Non-Fiction, Variety or Music Series or Specials for “XIX Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony”. He was also nominated for a CAS Award on four other occasions: in 2009 for his work on “American Idol: The Search for a Superstar”, in 2004 for his work on “The 45th Annual Grammy Awards” as well as “The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts” and in 2000 for “The 41st Annual Grammy Awards”.

Former CAS President Edward L. Moskowitz commented, “The personal and professional loss to each and every one of us is immeasurable. So many of us owe him so much. With the clarity of his teaching and conduct he was the personification of the CAS principals to educate and inform the industry and the public of effective sound while maintaining the highest standards of conduct and craftsmanship. He will be deeply missed.”

“The Sound Community has lost a giant-- an innovator, a huge talent, and above all, a wonderful friend. Ed Greene was my first mentor when I was a young mixer, teaching me about music mixing for picture, and collaborating on many shows together,” said former CAS President David E. Fluhr. “I was always (and still am) in awe of his talent, and his ‘Velvety Smooth Tracks’, as I would call them. He never hesitated to share his knowledge and experience, and would help anyone who asked. I am honored to have known him, and to have spent time with him on the CAS Board of Directors for many years. He was the best at what he did--and his legacy will live on for generations to come.”

Most everyone who knew Ed Greene comments about how his mixing experience, talent, and accomplishments are surpassed only by his kind, helpful, mentoring nature, and I concur. It has been a pleasure and honor to have met with Ed every month for years at the CAS board meetings. He was a real gem that we can all aspire to be more like.

12 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

Most everyone who knew Ed Greene comments about how his mixing experience, talent, and accomplishments are surpassed only by his kind, helpful, mentoring nature, and I concur. It has been a pleasure and honor to have met with Ed every month for years at the CAS board meetings. He was a real gem that we can all aspire to be more like.

I had the great pleasure of working with Ed twice here in Minnesota.  This was back when I was a very inexperienced A2.  We had some wonderful conversations and I learned a great deal about how he approached mixing the big shows.  I concur with Glen about his kind, helpful, mentoring nature, and would add he had a great sense of humor.  I don't remember the jokes anymore, but he had some good ones!