Sound Devices 6 series, quick track naming.

daniel

I Shouldn't grumble given how good the 633 is but the 'quick track naming' method doesn't seem so quick if you can't access the previous entries (available when editing track name with the menu button). Is there a reason for this I'm missing? Or could this be changed in a firmware update?

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/6-series-quick-track-naming

I Shouldn't grumble given how good the 633 is but the 'quick track naming' method doesn't seem so quick if you can't access the previous entries (available when editing track name with the menu button). Is there a reason for this I'm missing? Or could this be changed in a firmware update?

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/6-series-quick-track-naming
I understand what you mean.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

I don't remember ever being able to do that on the 633. 

I enter track names (and all other metadata) through the wingman app now... way quicker, easier, and more accurate than any other option IMO. 

-Mike

Yes, you can edit track names in Wingman (which is very nice) but just like doing this through the PFL button you have no access to previously used track names. Eg. with the dropdown menu of entries available when using the menu button. The great thing about the dropdown menu, is you can enter your inventory of microphones and/or all the on-mic contributors / character names in the cast and every time there's a change you scroll through to the 1 you want, maintain consistent spelling (in the heat of battle) and more easily move names / labels around on the faders if needed. Neither Wingman or PFL give you that, instead you have to enter names character by character each time (even if it is name / label you have previously used - painful). I would really like to see a dropdown of previous entries in Wingman and PFL track naming methods, unless there's a technical reason why this can not be so. 

1 hour ago, Michael Manzke said:

I always use the dropdown menues in the take screen for the reaons you mentioned. Used the PFL quick naming only once and went back to the take menue =/
Even though it's not named "quick naming" it's fast enough for me.

I agree, although I do like the more intuitive thing of going through the PFL button instead the Menu button - especially if things are changing around a bit, because there's a good chance you'll visit the PFL screen of the channel anyway. Even if its not possible through PFL on the recorder, it could be possible to offer the dropdown on Wingman?