DPA 4063 loud pops

AnuarYahya

One of my beloved DPA 4063 has begun to make really loud pops when the cable at the microdot end is moved. Sounds like a bad connection somewhere even though the microdot is properly tightened and connected. I would like to try and fix it, but don't really know what could be wrong. Has anybody had any experience with this? 

Definitely not good.. the mic is about a year and a half old. I do not think its under warranty but it is insured so I think ill be able to replace it. However I would like to try and save it to keep it as a back up. I have already contacted DPA and waiting on their reply. I will report back on what they say. 

I don't agree at all that the MicroDot is the weak part.  In all the 406X mics I have ever had (and there really were quite a few) it was never the MicroDot that fails. It's the cable somewhere near the MicroDot. Just as often it's the cable near the capsule. 

You're lucky that it appears to be at the MicroDot end, as that is easy to fix and doesn't cost that much. Near the capsule and you'll effectively have to buy a new mic. 

I actually had that problem a few times and everytime - even if the connection between Microdot and adapter seemed to be tight and perfectly fitting - it was just not connected right. If you have really sorted out that, it should be a simple cable-defect near the Microdot. Had that, too, and it's a quick repair.

14 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

If it's close.to the microdot end why not just get it terminated to what ever connector your wireless transmitter uses and be done with it.  Doesn't hurt to have one or 2 hardwired. 

True, that can be useful.

Although in the days of TA5-f and Lemo plugs from just one manufacturer, let alone further types from other manufacturer, having the flexibility is quite a bonus (at least to me). 

FWIW I asked the German DPA service center which types they see more often for repairs: MicroDot or the wireless connecter. Both about the same they replied. 

Well it would seem that it still might be covered by the warranty. I am still in the process of contacting DPA. I think i can rule out the microdot as the problem since I have swapped microdot adaptors and the problem persists, I have also triple checked that the microdot is screwed on correctly. 

I also find the flexibility of the microdot very useful, however I would not be against having some hardwired 4063s. Either way its my lav of choice.