Cos 11 Sticky cable- not from tape...

Freeheel

Brent, how do the Sanken cables perform in the long run, after your Xylene treatment?

I mostly use DPA Lavs and found that any treatment with alcohol or even stronger ingredients seems to dilute the softeners from the cable shield and lets their Mogami cables become totally stiff after some years. So in recent years the most "aggressive" cleaner I use is dishwashing detergent and since then cables keep their softness.

The Sanken cables seem pretty resistant to the chemical attack I put them through.  It's now 4 years since I first created this thread, and the lav treated with xylene followed by 303 Aerospace protectant has been totally fine since then. I've now shifted to the Remove wipes for regular cleaning, so I only used Xylene that one time.   The lavs that I have been using the Remove wipes on have also not changed in character.   I also tend to use a quick alcohol wipe after the Remove, as well, to take the moisturizers off, so the tape sticks properly again.

My DPA Lavs don't get as much use as the Sankens, so I haven't had as much experience with cleaning them.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

On 8/30/2017 at 3:49 AM, Freeheel said:

I was pulling out some older cos 11 lavs that I haven't used for a while, and one of the mics' cable sheath has started to degrade. It looks normal, but the entire length of it has gone sticky.  I'm going to try a few terrifying solvents I have lying around (start with citrus, then alcohol, then naphtha, then xylene, then acetone, then Methyl Ethyl Ketone)   but wondering if anyone has come up against this and can recommend a fix?    The mic works fine apart from the fact that I can throw it at the ceiling like a piece of spaghetti and it will stick...  The one interesting thing about this mic is that it was bought second hand with a transmitter, and it's sheath always seemed a bit different than all my other Cos 11's, I not sure whether Sanken changed how they manufacture the cable at some point, or whether it got contaminated with something at some point in its lifespan.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

different dealer sell the cos11d has different audio level and different cable skin. ....don't know why

• 1 year later...