Zaxcom press release: 4 ch. receiver

Jeff Wexler

I just became aware of this announced product from Zaxcom ... I don't know why it hasn't made it into our community yet as it seems to be a real game changer, particularly for those working with 4 channel video cameras. I am posting the press release here so that we can think about what this new receiver is all about. I know everyone has been talking about the Lectrosonics 4 ch. receiver (and Octopak ... I like that name) but it looks like this new Zaxcom receiver does a whole lot of things in one box.

QRX100 Four-Channel Camera RF Audio System

At the 2009 NAB Show, Zaxcom will demonstrate a new technology concept, the QRX100 four-channel RF audio receiver. To take advantage of the capability of today's cameras that record four or more discrete audio channels, the QRX100 will receive four channels of audio from up to two Zaxcom stereo or mono digital transmitters. The QRX100 will then output these received audio channels as both analog and AES digital formats with audio quality that can only be matched by a hard-wire system. This unique interface will allow broadcasters to record all channels from four-channel ENG cameras quickly and easily.

The QRX100 will double as a timecode receiver, with an optional video sync/ SMPTE timecode output and an optional integrated IFB transmitter. To replicate the capabilities of the QRX100, broadcasters would need to mount up to four receivers, a sync generator, and an IFB transmitter to the camera — a scenario with high cost, RF bandwidth, and power demands. Zaxcom's QRX100 is designed to eliminate these concerns while addressing a wide range of audio functions in a single, lightweight package.

First I like Zaxcom's products, I own a Deva 5 and swear by it. But I've always been a little confused about the timing and the way they introduce so many new products almost at the same time.

I'm just getting my interest up in the new TRX992 IFB/Boom/TC/Record etc. etc. and now my attention is diverted to the even newer 4 channel receiver.

I kind of feel like I'm at a bar, see an attractive woman, only to turn my head and see another, and moments later another. I almost feel guilty at all the "choices". Now of course, just like at a bar, or in life, you won't get anywhere without making the first move.

Sorry to debase this thread, but I'm getting distracted by the plethora of possabilities. My point really is that I wish Zaxcom would first wait until a product successfully gets to market and is a bonafide success before they get buyers to essentially "beta test" a new concept.

Let's use General Motors as an example - too many products to many choices; as opposed to Lectrosonics which usually brings one thing to market, builds sales and then spends the R&D to bring us improvements or newer products.

Regards,

RL