How hot do IDX NP-L7S batteries get when charging?

jgbsound

Hey a random question for everybody?

I'm charging my batteries for a shoot tomorrow and one of my NP style batteries, which is one of the oldest ones I have (initial charge date September 2010) , seem to be taking forever to charge. When I put my hand on it the battery, it was pretty damned hot.

To be honest I don't really recall them ever getting this hot.

I guess my question is: do lithium ion batteries get hot while they're charging?

Thank you.

I'll take my answer off the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of Re-Cell-ing IDX batteries: 

I saw an earlier post on Jwsoundgroup that mentioned this very topic, on condition that you were handy with soldering your own stuff (which I happen to be -- one of my first jobs in the tech industry was soldering nuclear density gauges for asphalt --- don't ask, I was desperate for money).

I remember reading an earlier post about re-celling IDX batteries using Panasonic battery cells? But after searching, I failed to find the post.

Does anyone have any practical tips and LINKS to order replacement Panasonic lithium cell batteries for my attempt?  

I have three older batteries that need to be re-celled.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

John

9 minutes ago, jgbsound said:

(which I happen to be -- one of my first jobs in the tech industry was soldering nuclear density gauges for asphalt --- don't ask, I was desperate for money).

Sorry John, I cannot help on the battery front ... BUT I did want to mention you made my night! I love measurement in all its guises, and that's the best for a while!

Best, Jez (Uming and ahring between Saint Jack and Edge of Darkness before bedtime ...)

To:  The Immoral Mr. Tees.  I swear I wasn't bragging. Just trying to qualify myself for the soldering position.  

It was there at the gauge company that I truly learned to solder.  It was the only job I could get at the time.  I was 22 and a complete idiot. Now, I'm an idiot of a different sort.

Sean, I was heavily berated by the tech support people over at IDX today.  They had heard of what I was proposing and thought it madness.  But I now have three dead batteries now (replacement cost would be about 600 bucks) and thought I might save some money by re-soldering new cells into these packs.  It might be a fools errand I'll admit.

:-)