Headphone

Partha666

• 2 months later...

Sennheiser HD-26

basically the same as the 25 but in a new design which is so smooth to your ears it feels like a pillow. Not joking! If you had a 26 on you will not want to buy a 25.

For me these two are the best choice also because I do have pretty big ears which do not fit under DT48 for example without pain.

The only bad thing about the Sennheiser is that they are too good especially in high frequencies. I tend to loose focus sometimes concentrating on background noise that I would not hear on a DT48, DT250 or any other DT. Most of the times these noises don´t even matter in the post. The Sennheiser are very clinical.

On 14.9.2017 at 8:20 AM, Partha666 said:

best headphone for location sond

Surprisingly... it depends.

The best HP is the one you're used to and learned to judge with.

Best thing to start is to walk into some store that provides professional lines from Beyerdynamic, Sony, Sennheiser and Ultrasone and ultimate ears and compare them with you ears. However you may not find such a store, so order some models with the option of returning them and do a listening test.

And ask yourself:

For what application doing "location sound"? Booming, mixing? ENG, narrative or documentary? Bag or cart?

How important is shielding from the environment for you? Will you be close to the action or close to combo village? Also, there is no such thing as "on location". An airport apron is highly different than a small flat. Tropical weather is different to some winterwonderland.

My 2 ct: Most people coming from ENG/bagwork prefer the HD-25 (or derrivates). It was made for disk jockeys. But was one of the few or the only option for location sound if you wanted something lighter than the DT-48. Both became somewhat an industry standard first because of a lack of alternatives, then because everybody else used. If I'm on a cart or at least, if I don't boom, I highly prefer (and advise) something around the ear instead of on the ear. I've been quite happy with the DT-100, DT150, Custom Studio, DT-770 from Beyerdynamic, all come with pros and cons, like any other model. When booming I use cheap ear hooked plugs that regularly die in the laundry.

Available now from those wonderful folks who bring you "Magic Microphone," the one and only microphone you'll ever need for a career in sound mixing -- it's "Hyper Headphone," the one headphone that sounds better than any other to every user with every type of ears, head, and experience! 

Order a "Hyper Headphone" now and receive a "Magic Microphone" free -- just pay shipping and an additional fee!

Order now and you can have both at this amazing low price -- only slightly higher than buying each individually!

Yes, you too can become a professional sound mixer overnight with our expedited shipping option -- not available where prohibited by law!

You'll walk with a new swagger to your step!  You'll spout impressive terms like, "dynamic range," "sampling rate," and "hyper-cardioid"!  You will even learn the super-secret sound mixer handshake!

Buy now and be great!

On 11/16/2017 at 8:56 AM, John Blankenship said:

Available now from those wonderful folks who bring you "Magic Microphone," the one and only microphone you'll ever need for a career in sound mixing -- it's "Hyper Headphone," the one headphone that sounds better than any other to every user with every type of ears, head, and experience! 

Order a "Hyper Headphone" now and receive a "Magic Microphone" free -- just pay shipping and an additional fee!

Order now and you can have both at this amazing low price -- only slightly higher than buying each individually!

Yes, you too can become a professional sound mixer overnight with our expedited shipping option -- not available where prohibited by law!

You'll walk with a new swagger to your step!  You'll spout impressive terms like, "dynamic range," "sampling rate," and "hyper-cardioid"!  You will even learn the super-secret sound mixer handshake!

Buy now and be great!

My DT48's were first pro purchase along with that Nagra III and a used 416. I bought what my mentor used/wore. It was easy.

On 14/09/2017 at 11:50 AM, Partha666 said:

Plz help,,,best headphone for location sond,,,

Sent from my LS-4503 using Tapatalk

dont be an idiot - at least get the spelling right before you post here. 

Dear Community - Apologies for not spotting this one - i should have bitch slapped this before it went anywhere ahead... 

20 hours ago, VAS said:

I am not talking about the DT 770 Pro, I am talking about the DT 1770 Pro. Got the DT770Pro myself but do not really like them. To me the HD26 is better in any way: comfy, better resolution and linearity, more depth and Stereo Image. I would like to know how the 1770 compares to that.

29 minutes ago, Ohrenzeuge said:

I am not talking about the DT 770 Pro, I am talking about the DT 1770 Pro. Got the DT770Pro myself but do not really like them. To me the HD26 is better in any way: comfy, better resolution and linearity, more depth and Stereo Image. I would like to know how the 1770 compares to that.

Sorry mate, I missed the "1". Hehe

• 1 month later...
On 19.11.2017 at 4:29 PM, Ohrenzeuge said:

I bought the DT 1770 Pro myself now. Made a few tests with it and sadly it is not what I am looking for. Stereo Image is great but this headphone is not forgiving at all. Makes sense to call it a Mastering Headphone. I thought it might be a bit more like a DT990 Pro. There I always had the feeling everything sounded a bit better than it actually was. On Set I find it sometimes hard to concentrate on the actual sound if there is anything disturbing happening. Of course that is good for finding and eliminating the source of the disturbance, but I got my HD 26 for that. What I am looking for is a Headphone that lets me keep the focus on the sound and gives me a bit more comfort. I know that that might sound a bit strange but I have exceptionally good hearing especially in high frequencies. That can be a burden from time to time because it is exhausting and shifts my focus. Anyone got a suggestion?

I mixed on set for years on MDR 7506s. I find them too bright for normal listening but the extra high end is great for hearing set noise. One day I got tired of dealing with the wind noise issue. Wind gets between the ear cup and my ear and makes noise, and in the moment I can't tell whether the noise is coming from the mic or from the lack of isolation from the on-the-ear design. Granted I have big ears, so this may not be a problem for most users.

I have since switched to Shure SRH840s. They are an around the ear design so I don't have the wind issue anymore, and I enjoy the extra isolation. And they're not as bright as the Sonys so I get less ear fatigue on long sessions. The bass is not as hyped as the Sonys, but it's not as tight either. And midrange is a littler sweeter on the Sonys. But overall they have a flatter representation, which I enjoy. Not as scooped or smiley as the Audio Technicas and way better midrange. They're also lacking the boxy bandpass sonic signature I hear in Beyers. Several friends have made the switch after using mine.

HD25 and MDR7506. Both are excellent on location to make technical issues audible (rumble, rustle, white noise, dropouts, distortion, compander artifacts, digital mess).

But I really wouldn't use them to judge equalizing because they sound brighter than the result on loudspeakers.