Jeff's 6th Star

SoundHound

Although the US military has never had a 6th star (5 stars are for Fleet Admirals and General of the Army of which there are none now) the French have the 6 Star "Marshall" rank.  So if it's OK for the French...I propose that we award Jeff Wexler a 6th, Honorary, Star for all his educational work. 

BB

I propose that we award Jeff Wexler a 6th, Honorary, Star for all his educational work. 

BB

I humbly accept the honorary and have been happy to have served...  not so thrilled with the military stuff (but pleased that I never had to really shoot my own foot or go to Canada --- I was medically unfit, asthma, you remember). Before slipping into the film business I was preparing to teach social sciences at the college level; I still have a healthy appetite for learning and I love to teach.

Thank you again for the recognition.

Regards to all (and especially Sound Hound),  your host, Jeff Wexler

Actually, Jeff, since you are the capo di tutti here you should have some sort of unique icon, like an "Oscar" (whoops, no that's copyrighted) or something.  Single big star w/ a halo and a pair of headphones around it?

Philip Perkins

Please refer to George C. Scott as General Patton in the movie "Patton" for ideas about decorations and emblems.

Eric

The five star general rank was created in the midst of World War II to address the fact that several American commanders found themselves in the delicate position of supervising Allied officers of higher rank. Initially, the new rank was to be called Field Marshal, after the British military, but this was nixed due to stern (and quite understandable) objections from General George C. Marshall.

When General of the Army Omar N. Bradley died in April of 1981, the five star ranking was consigned to history. In all, four Army generals, four Navy admirals, and one Air Force general have held this rank. The Army's five star generals were General George C. Marshall, General Douglas MacArthur, General Dwight D. Eisenhower, and General Omar N. Bradley. The Navy's five-star fleet admirals were Admiral William D. Leahy, Admiral Ernest J. King, Admiral Chester Nimitz, and Admiral William F. "Bull" Halsey. And General Henry Arnold was the Air Force's five star general.

Who beats a five star general? A General of the Armies of the United States -- the highest military rank of all time, hands down. To date, only George Washington and John J. Pershing have held this position.

Not Grant?  It seems like Lincoln gave him that level of authority in the last years of the Civil War.

Philip Perkins