Can a Lectro R1A UHF IFB Receiver "listen in" on a SMQV to SRC camera hop?

alenK

Hello,

I am wondering if the Lectrosonics R1A UHF IFB receivers can receive the same signal that may be sent from a SMQV transmitter to a SRc receiver "digital hybrid" wireless camera hop?

It seems as if using this type of configuration, if it is possible, may on some occasions eliminate the need for one more transmitter cluttering up bandwidth.

Thank you.

If you set the SMQV to IFB mode you can receive the signal but otherwise no. And IFB mode isn't as good as digital hybrid mode so you wouldn't want to use that to record your lav tracks through the SRc, but if they are just for hops then you can set the SRc to IFB mode as well as the SMQV and use all three

12 hours ago, alenK said:

It seems as if using this type of configuration, if it is possible, may on some occasions eliminate the need for one more transmitter cluttering up bandwidth.

You have to decide whether the quality of an IFB signal is is sufficient for camera in that instance. For me, since scratch/reference is the norm, I do this fairly often either by strapping an R1a to camera or renting a buddy's 411. Very convenient to only need 1x transmitter in the bag.

Thanks for that link Peter.    The economic argument against a 400 mode R1 makes sense, although as a documentary recordist who only needs one unit for the director and maybe one for a field producer- I probably WOULD pay $1100 for a single IFB receiver channel, if it meant that I could leave the comteks at home.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

M2R is awesome however the antenna's are a deal breaker for me. 

I use my R1a to feed the judges inductive neckloops and earpieces on my regular show. They're tricky enough to hide sometimes even without antenna's. 

Even for field producer IFB, antenna's are going to get in the way. 

I'm pretty sure Lectro could make a 400 mode ifb that also could be switched to other existing  modes, LCD screen, lots of presets, IR with app to program etc as per my other post in other thread, WITHOUT an external antenna. 

I'd buy a bunch, for sure. 

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bump this,

A little confused but I guess I just need a more direct answer. Would my R1A's be able to receive my SMQV or SMWB when switched to IFB Mode? (obviously have to match frequencies, etc.) I understand it won't be as good as the Digital Hybrid Mode, the situation I'm asking for is sending program from a phone to the TX and receive it with the R1A's. 

This was possible back in the days with the T2 to R1A's, is there another way to do something similar and still keep my R1A's?

Thank you !

2 hours ago, Vivalobos said:

Sorry to bump this,

A little confused but I guess I just need a more direct answer. Would my R1A's be able to receive my SMQV or SMWB when switched to IFB Mode? (obviously have to match frequencies, etc.) I understand it won't be as good as the Digital Hybrid Mode, the situation I'm asking for is sending program from a phone to the TX and receive it with the R1A's. 

This was possible back in the days with the T2 to R1A's, is there another way to do something similar and still keep my R1A's?

Thank you !

Yes.

If the IFB just needs to be listenable and not pristine, then you may even be able to keep the transmitters in digital hybrid mode.  Come to think of it, you'd probably need to disable pilot tone on the receiver for this to work.

We use our transmitters in NA and NU digital hybrid modes and we also use a Uniden scanner to monitor them.  The scanner is a consumer model marketed toward motorsports fans, and I'm pretty sure it is just doing straight FM demodulation.  I think the the digital hybrid signal includes as an FM component that is a prediction error.  So, the scanner is not picking up "the" signal, but it contains enough information to hear the mic and to detect many types of problems.