Story boards and shotlists?

thope

Are shot lists still a thing? I mainly do scripted drama and am constantly amazed about how much is made up on the spot. This is despite weeks of pre production and location recces.. we arrive to shoot and coverage is improvised on the day. I'm young enough to have grown up this way, but have fond memories of film school where the whole film was shotlisted and everyone had all the information to be able to get on with it. I'd love to know if this happens everywhere or just where I work.

I work at a Old west movie set and have seen it all also. IMHO the "great" directors come in with story board and shot list planned to the second. BUT they are more than willing to change or adapt for numerous reasons. Usually things like a new idea from lead cast member, weather, running low on time, equipment failure to name a few. I am sure we all have a story of why the change... what is you're best story?

Some directors are collegial and make plans and share them with their various assistants in various old and new school ways, some directors have a plan but don't share it with hardly anyone, and some I'm pretty sure only have a vague idea of what they'll do and trust that they will figure it out in the moment.  The first sort of director is the easiest to work with--plans can be made, economies achieved etc, and the considerable stress generated among crew folks from not knowing what to expect is lessened.  With the 2nd type I often attribute their reticence to let more than a very few people know their plans to having been burned by back-seat drivers from agencies, studios, etc..  Knowledge is power, and they want to hold onto all they can.  There is a subset of this type who kind of likes making very professional people scramble--there is a nice little room set aside for them in Hell.  The last type are often genuine geniuses, or think they are, and have learned that this method is how they get results they like, as opposed to doing a lot of planning.    I understand this, and also understand why many directors of this ilk like to keep the same crew as much as they can...

When I am shooting I usually use a shot list and do the best to stick to it.  If things get behind for whatever reason, we might look at cutting a few things, but this is mostly commercial production.  When I work with other companies it is a mixed bag of having a plan, or it goes out the window as the day goes on.  There is one company I work with mixing audio that never has a set plan and it is always interesting figuring out what we are doing.

Back in July I worked a commercial shoot for USAA insurance.  There were like 90 people on set that day, we had storyboards, shot boards, shot list, treatments all given to us the day before.  That all went out the window after the first shot of the day.

On 10/5/2017 at 1:59 AM, John Blankenship said:

All the above.

There are still some productions that have a plan and stick to it.  

There are some productions that have a plan and don't stick to it.  

And there are some productions that don't have a plan and stick to it.  

Brilliant John!!!

After all, scripts and storyboards are concepts devised before the shoot.

Experienced directors work out what they need on the day plus bonus shots

and also what they don't need. They use their brain not a piece of paper!

mike