Cleaning a Schoeps CMC 4/5/6 and capsules

josephboyle

Does anyone have any advice or information on the best way to clean the connections on a Schoeps CMC 4/5/6 and the capsules (MK41 specifically)? I have a CMC4 that was modded by Pete Verrando to P48, so apparently Schoeps won't clean/service it. I had an issue with humidity when using it a couple months back and I have read that it may be because there is some dirt or debris on the connection. I am going to be putting a Cut 1 filter in place so I'd like to get the connections all cleaned up and then leave it screwed together to protect against further humidity issues.

Update: I found this short piece from Redding Audio: http://www.reddingaudio.com/downloads/Schoeps Technical/Schoeps Basic Care Mics - Hmty.pdf

Anyone have any experience cleaning these? I might look into getting a Vark dry tube as well.

These are instructions straight from Pete. 

It would be good to clean the circular groove contacts of your various Schoeps accessories using denatured alcohol (not isopropyl alcohol, which contains water).  I use a toothpick, shaved down with a razor blade to resemble a small flat-blade screwdriver. I then take a small amount of cotton from a swab and wrap it around the blade, so that it fits snugly inside the grooves, and dampen the swab lightly with the alcohol.  Be careful to clean the actual metal contacts only vertically, never side-to-side, which can bend them. I typically do two rounds of alcohol dampened swabs, then use a dry swab. I then inspect the connector against a backlight and remove any remaining fibers with a small  brush, or use masking tape to "lift" any remaining lint or fibers off the contacts and grooves. Canned air works well, too. 

Hope this helps.